X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install kubuntu 6.06.1 on acer aspire 1694 WLMi

Hello all,

First i got to say that i'm brand new to the whole linux scene... I now study informatics at school, and we write programs with kate in kubuntu. The teacher told us to install kubuntu at home, so i decided to make work of that. I downloaded kubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso and burned it to cd. The installation was good. Didn't notice something wrong. But when i restart my laptop after install, he loads everything and then i get a black screen. Because i'm a newbie, I really don't know what to do.

my laptop specifications:

Processor: Intel Pentium M 760 (2Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
    Memory: 1024 (2x512) DDR2 Memory
    Video Adapter: ATi x700 Mobility with 256MB PCIe
    HD: 100 GB 5400 RPM
    LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps Fast Ethernet
    Wireless: Wireless PAN: integrated bluetooth
    Interfaces:
    3x USB 2.0
    1x Infrared
    1x VGA for external monitor
    1x PC Card Slot (Type II)
    1x S-video/TV-out (NTSC/PAL) port
    1x IEEE 1394 port
    1x Modem (RJ-11) jack
    1x Ethernet (RJ-45) jack
    Headphones/speaker/line-out port (with S/PDIF support)
    1x Microphone / Line-In jack
    1x DC-in jack for AC adapter
    4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro)

If you help me, please be complete and i like step-by-step instructions. As I said, I am new to the scene so It's kind of urgent

Thx in advance!!

Grtz,

DJHazLe

Re: install kubuntu 6.06.1 on acer aspire 1694 WLMi

You get a black screen, where ? Do you get to a certain point in the boot when this happens ? Do you have a prompt on your balck screen ?
    "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

I get it after the boot screen of kubuntu. So i see the kubuntu screen with the blue kubuntu logo. And underneath you see a loading bar. The loading goes fine. After every sentence, it sets [ok]. But when the bar is full and the OS should start, it looks like he wants to chance the resolution or something like that and the screen stays black. So i don't see a prompt on my black screen either

Comment

plz anyone?

Comment

This is probably a problem with the graphics driver,monitor, and x.org. You should be able to get the terminal if you press CTR+ALT+F1 when you get the black screen. Then you'll get a command line login, so type in your username and password.
          Then type in: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Sudo will give you root priveleges to start the text editor nano, which is going to edit the xorg.conf file so you can get the GUI going.

Then scroll down with the arrow keys to the bottom until you see your ati graphics card model, and under it there is going to be
          Driver "radeon"

Change that to
          Driver "vesa"

Then press Ctr+O, and then press Enter to save the changes you made. Then press CTR+X to quit, and now type in startx to start the X server along with the GUI.

If that doesn't work then you're gonna get a lot of text, and then an error that X server couldn't start. If it doesn't start then we're gonna edit the xorg.conf file again, so start nano up, scroll down to the bottom to where you see a big list of different resolutions. Delete most of the resolutions except a few simple ones like 640x480 and 800x600, and keep an exact format otherwise X won't be able to read the file and start X. Things like spaces inside the quotations "800 x600" or no spaces between 2 different quotations "800x600""800x600" are going to damage the format.
          After you're done, save the file and quit nano and type in startx and hope it works.

So try those out and tell us how it goes.

Comment

This is probably a problem with the graphics driver,monitor, and x.org. You should be able to get the terminal if you press CTR+ALT+F1 when you get the black screen. Then you'll get a command line login, so type in your username and password.
            Then type in: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Sudo will give you root priveleges to start the text editor nano, which is going to edit the xorg.conf file so you can get the GUI going.

Then scroll down with the arrow keys to the bottom until you see your ati graphics card model, and under it there is going to be
            Driver "radeon"

Change that to
            Driver "vesa"

Then press Ctr+O, and then press Enter to save the changes you made. Then press CTR+X to quit, and now type in startx to start the X server along with the GUI.
            This worked!!! thanks a lot man didn't had to remove the higher resolutions is there any need to install ati drivers? or is it fine this way? and i if need to install them, how do i do?

Thx man you're the best !

Comment

No problem.
              Depending on what you're gonna be doing with your laptop you might or might not need any ati driver. The vesa driver is a generic driver that works with just about any card, but it doesn't provide any 2D or 3D acceleration at all. The radeon driver which was being used by default is the opensource ati driver, and for some reason didn't work. You can also install the official ATi driver which provides the best 3D performance, but it's a little tricky to get going.

First you enable the universe repositories:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

Then follow this how-to: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

The problem is that with method 1 you get a slightly outdated driver, but method 2 is much more complicated and will be extremely hard and time-consuming to get it going.

So it's up to you whether you want to use the ati driver or stick with vesa. Vesa will by fine for most things, unless you'll want to use 3D apps like CAD and games.

Comment

thx for the very quick response i'll try them 8)
                Just have to install java now to start programming with kate I will succeed in that. anyway, i love this forum and will follow all the other topics as well to learn much more about linux special thanks to OuchOfDeath for fixing my problem

Comment

Working...
                X