This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless

I recently started using kubuntu and have tried to use wireless on my computer. The wireless assistant can find the wireless connection I am trying to connect to but fails to connect. I have the correct password for it so I'm not sure what the problem. Maybe I need a driver? Can anyone help?

Re: Wireless

Some info please. What type of wireless connection is it ? Do you receive an error when trying to connect ?

A good troubleshooting guide here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Wir...eshootingGuide
    "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

If you have access to the router, you could always check that it uses WEP encryption (I couldn't get it to work with WPA). You could also try to disable passwords just to check whether you can connect at all to the router.

I had to choose 128 bit ASCII WEP encryption (on the router) as security in order to get it to work. Then I went to K -> System Settings -> Network settings -> (Administrator mode) -> Configure Interface (on eth1, my wireless) and chose ASCII as the key type.

I then used the Wireless Assistant to actually connect to the network (and got a connection failed, but it worked anyway).

When I did iwconfig just after logging in, the device didn't have an access point (and some other stuff was missing). After running Wireless Assistant and clicking on my network, the device had been given information about an access point (and some other stuff) even though WA said Connection Failed and I was able to surf the net.

This was after manually installing a new kernel. Beacuse of some other circumstances, I finally chose to reinstall kubuntu and install a new kernel with sudo apt-get install kernel-686-smp (smp as I have a dual core processor) and then everything worked as it should (WA didn't give me a connection failed at all).

Comment

i'm not sure what you mean by what type of wireless connection is it. It is a WEP encrypted wireless network. There is no error when i try to connect the wireless assistant just says that it fails to connect whenever i try.

when i run lshw this is what I get for the wireless portion.
        *-network
        description: Wireless interface
        physical id: 1
        logical name: eth1
        serial: 00:02:2d:56:d9:67
        capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
        configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b
        not sure if this helps

Comment

Working...
        X