X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot boot after installation

Hey all,

I have a vaio VGC-RA842G with no modifications. it has a 3ghz pentium d processor, 1GB ram, 250GB HD and GeForce 6600 card. It ran on Windows Media center and had so many virus that i thought i would try installing ubuntu 6.06 onto it. I downloaded the live CD and that worked fine. However after installation, the computer would not get pass the initial GRUB loading screen after reboot. I tried to install kubuntu onto it and the live CD failed to even work. Might have been my CD's fault, but I'm wondering if it the problems have anything to do with the processor or something else. Please give me some advice.

-kkev

Re: cannot boot after installation

Hello there

Maybe you messed up your master-boot-record.

When I tried to install Kubuntu from the Live-DVD, the DVD itself working fine, I had trouble to installing via klicking on the Install button after the Live-DVD finished booting. I installed it using the "install in text mode" option. If you never used Linux before you should try this and use Kubuntu. For KDE is an easy-to-use Desktop Envirment, specialy if you change from Windoze to Linux. Gnome is very uncomfortable to Windose-User.

If your Kubuntu-Live-Medium fails to install in text Mode. Use Ubuntu.

Next thing: Did you part your HDD properly? Wich way to partition your HDD did you choose?

During/After installation, did you say "no" to any question asked in combinatio to your Master Boot Record? If you simply installed Ubuntu over your Win Media Edition you might have some leftovers in your MBR. Did Ubuntu tell you that there was another OS detected and to write to the MBR if all OS are listed above?

Finaly: Where does the boot process ends excatly and how.

Comment

when i installed ubuntu, i just used all the default settings. and the computer crashes right as ubuntu starts to load GRUB. you think i should try installing ubuntu again using my own partition?

also, my main question is if i'm using the correct version of ubuntu/kubuntu. should i be installing the 64bit version (which i'm currently doing) or the 32 bit version?

thanks for your help.

Comment

I took a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGC-RA842.../dp/B0009HOQCW
        and this
        http://www.intel.com/design/PentiumD...hts/307506.htm.

It seems that your Processor is capable of handling 64bit OS. But I found no evidence that your Mainboard for example is a 64bit Board. So you should switch to 32bit Version. I guess that should fix the problem. If the above Link to amazon is correct, then your System seems to be 32bit System. It's just the Processor, wich CAN be used in 64bit environment. Otherwise, just let me know.

I hope this will help you

Comment

Working...
        X