This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dazed and confused

I've just recently switched over to Kubuntu from Windows XP fed up with yet another Windows crash). I'm really impressed with Kubuntu and it's layout and useability.
    I do have two issues which I can't seem to resolve (probably from only having windows experience) but I can't seem to get any sound when playing a cd. I get sound from certain video files (not all) when on the internet.
    Also can someone tell me how to open zip (compressed) files as well as bin files in Kubuntu.
    I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm running a Dell 8300 DImension. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Northstar

Re: Dazed and confused

get any sound when playing a cd.
    Ans: install libxine-extracodecs that'll give you chance to play mp3. by-the-way which CDs are we talking?

Also can someone tell me how to open zip files as well as bin files in Kubuntu.
    Ans: there ia an archive managerarm or just right click on it and choose extract

Comment

Thanks Ravsas3,
      I've looked in Adept but couldn't find the specific file "...extracodecs" but I have installed all the lib... files. The cd's I'm referencing are music cd's.
      I've right clicked on the compressed file but I don't get the option to extract, when I click on the file itself I get a popup that says "Recommended options - None" then displays another tab with the header "Other options".

Comment

ark is the KDE archiving program. Install it through Adept if it's not already there.

You might also try typing "zip:/path/to/zip/file.zip" into Konqueror - it has a plugin to handle ZIP files (like in XP) though it seems to not want to use it unless you force it.

Comment

Working...
        X