This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Live USB?

I have a thumb drive up and running with Kubuntu 19.04 installing from it just fine, however I noticed there's also an option to just 'try' Kubuntu. Recently, I've been interested in running a 'Live' USB of Kubuntu from a flash drive, without the need for an HDD in the machine, but I had thought you needed a special program to create such a USB stick. Is this 'try' option in fact the equivalent of a "Live USB" of Kubuntu?

I did give the 'try' option a go and it seemed to be running faster than what I would expect from a normal installation using the flash drive as storage, which makes me wonder if Kubuntu isn't running in the RAM for this type of installation. Is that correct? Could I just take the flash drive out once the OS is up and running then?

I gather I can't save any files to the home folder when running in this mode (another indication that it's running in RAM only?). Is that correct?

Most importantly, are there any security/privacy implications that do not apply to a 'full' Kubuntu installation that apply when running in this 'try' mode? Is it appropriate for use when accessing secure/private data in online accounts, for example?

I have a few of those.
    SD cards with OSs that run on their own.
    You need a live medium with "persistency" space. That will allow you to save settings, updates, and apps.

The best program I've found so far for making a persistent medium is unetbootin.
    Not particularly intuitive to use and it does take quite a long time to make the live, but just leave it in the background while you do other things and eventually your persistent medium will be there.

As for security... they will work (albeit somewhat slower) just like a HD-installed version, including updates if persistent.
    One possible advantage being, if you don't keep any private data on them, they can't get out ;·)

Comment

To drop another tidbit here, Vinny and others here use mkusb to make a persistent USB Live Kubuntu flash drive.
      He mentions it here:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post430232
      He also mentions using the Linux dd command to make a live USB flash drive. It's a foolproof way to do it, BUT it does not make the USB persistent.
      My how-to explains the use of dd in this context:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712

You could also make a regular, full installation of USB to a flash drive, just like you'd make to a HDD, and then you'd have the storage built in to save settings and data.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        To drop another tidbit here, Vinny and others here use mkusb to make a persistent USB Live Kubuntu flash drive.
        He mentions it here:
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post430232
        He also mentions using the Linux dd command to make a live USB flash drive. It's a foolproof way to do it, BUT it does not make the USB persistent.
        My how-to explains the use of dd in this context:
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712

You could also make a regular, full installation of USB to a flash drive, just like you'd make to a HDD, and then you'd have the storage built in to save settings and data.
        +1 @Qqmike

as to the OP's running in RAM question all systems load whats running into ram , but just whats running , so if you puled out the USB and then tried to launch firefox it would fail .

But their is the boot option that can be appended to the boot line that will load the hole live system into RAM (if their is enough) see https://askubuntu.com/questions/8299...emove-the-disk

as to mkusb , hear is a TUT a made with screen shots that try's to explain how to use it https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post402754

have fun

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by GeeryP3 View Post
          I did give the 'try' option a go and it seemed to be running faster than what I would expect from a normal installation using the flash drive as storage, which makes me wonder if Kubuntu isn't running in the RAM for this type of installation. Is this correct?
          AFAIK, some of it is not, but it is possible to "try Kubuntu" (or any *buntu) running from RAM.
          You have to have access to the "linux" command line, such as grub provides by typing "e". One just adds "toram" to the linux line. Getting grub to appear when booting from a flash stick can be tricky however; pressing a shift key is supposed to do it, but I've never succeeded on my present desktop. If you get the "start Kubuntu / check disk for errors" menu there may be a way from there, maybe by pressing F6. (I sometimes use "multibootusb" to iso-boot using grub, in which case it's easy.)
          Could I just take the flash drive out once the OS is up and running then?
          With "toram" you can. This is useful for installing to a device using the same USB port.
          I gather I can't save any files to the home folder...
          You can but if you do, the files will be lost at shutdown or reboot, unless persistence has been set up for the home folder.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Not sure if my recent experience applies to your question but I sucessfully booted 19.10 from a DVD with no hard drive installed and ran in the Try mode.

Comment

+1 for mkusb. If you have synaptic installed, the package description offers lots of useful info.

In my experience over several years on Ubuntu is that mkusb is reliable as rock. It will also handle a wider variety of packages than the also excellent unetbootin mentioned above. I've found mkusb particularly resistant to user error.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Regarding the issue of security/privacy, Don mentioned that the 'Try Kubuntu' version is no different from full installs. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case (not that I doubt his testament, but it's always better to get confirmation from multiple sources). Just to explain my concern, I think it's because the Try version doesn't require you to create a local user account, so my mind immediately goes to 'OK is this some kind of pooled test account that uploads all my data to the devs or something'. Can anyone confirm that nothing like this is the case, and even a 'Try Kubuntu' install is suitable for accessing e.g. personal email accounts etc.

Comment

Working...
                X