This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ifconfig

Just installed 18.04 after a long, long time on MintKDE 17. I know a lot is going to be different, so I want to check and make sure I'm not installing anything that will confilct with what's already installed.

Went to check my internal IP address, and discovered ifconfig is not installed. Is there a reason for this? Or is it safe to install it?

sudo apt install net-tools

Conflicts are reported when you attempt installation. There's tens of thousands of packages available for installation so only a very small subset is installed by default. Mint is a different distro so obviously the developers of Mint decided to install net-tools by default but Kubuntu did not.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Mint is a different distro so obviously the developers of Mint decided to install net-tools by default but Kubuntu did not.
      Mint KDE is a slightly modified Kubuntu, tbh. But *buntu dropped ifconfig in favor of the newer replacement : ip, in 18.04 iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Mint KDE is a slightly modified Kubuntu, tbh. But *buntu dropped ifconfig in favor of the newer replacement : ip, in 18.04 iirc.
        Ah, that makes sense. You mean I've been installing net-tools for nothing?

Please Read Me

Comment

Nevermind, I don't like ip at all. I'll stick to ifconfig.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Ah, that makes sense. You mean I've been installing net-tools for nothing?
            No....and yes?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry I didn't get here sooner but I've received no emails saying there were new posts. One of many issues I've had.

Anyway, I installed net-tools because that's what I'm familiar with and the learning curve's high enough as it is. All seems to be fine (touch wood).

Comment

Working...
              X