This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wifi on hp stream 11 after kubuntu installation

I installed kubuntu on a hp stream 11 laptop. I open the driver manager and the proprietary driver comes up which is a broadcom device. I can set the driver on and the manager and the computers wifi does not work. The only connection that i can make is a wired connection from my cell phone due to this computer not having a ethernet port.

I have not had to deal with a broadcom chip in ages, butr have you rebooted after enabling the driver?

If it still is not working, please post the output of this command so we can see device info:

Code:
    lspci

Comment

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 0e)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0e)
      00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx, Celeron N2000 Series USB xHCI (rev 0e)
      00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0e)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor E3800 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 0e)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Power Control Unit (rev 0e)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Atom Processor E3800 Series SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
      01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

I'm also really new to the forum and still learning how to use.

Comment

Oh, yeah, what version of Kubuntu?

Comment

If you can connect to the internet via your phone, then you might try this
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install wireless-bcm43142-dkms

No guarantees, and I don't have that wifi chip, and Broadcom has been traditionally difficult. But it might work ...
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

It is kubuntu 19.04 i just downloaded it today claydoh

Comment

I tried to see what it would do. it couldn't locate the package.

Comment

there are now two different ones now, with different names. Each one takes a different version of broadcom's driver code and build it for your specific kernel, and automatically rebuilds it whenever there is a kernel update. What I do not know is which one the driver manager has installed for you.

one is called bcmwl-kernel-source and the other is broadcom-sta-dkms

I think the first one is the likely one used, so you can look for it in Muon package manager, or from a terminal:

Code:
                apt policy bcmwl-kernel-source
                If it shows as installed, you will want to purge it, which you can do using Muon, else:

Code:
                sudo apt purge bcmwl-kernel-source
                Reboot, and try installing the other, using Muon, else:
                Code:
                sudo apt install broadcom-sta-dkms
                and reboot

No idea if it will work or not, and there are other issues that could be in play. There are tons of reports about this particular card, and it seems to be hit or miss as to what works for each individual chip.
                Last edited by claydoh; May 05, 2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Also, it may help to disable secure boot in your bios before you try anything else

Comment

Thank you for all your help I disabled secure boot in the BIOS. i went to muon and installed both and rebooted the system the wifi is working properly at this time. thanks again for all the help i am new to the operating system. hopefully ill learn it quick and enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                    X