This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.06 unhappy on Dell

I have a Dell Demesion 2400. Tried for a week to get Kubuntu to work Over all it ran fine except for:

Intel 537EP modem. Downloaded drivers tried to configure it: and get this
    MAKE CLEAN:
    bash/ make not found.
    So Intll modem is out.
    Serial 3050 Zoom modem only connects at 9600 baud
    AmaroK will not play at all. Runs through the play list without a sound in less than 10 seconds then says play list Finished.

Any ideas before I toss Mandriva on it. I really like Kununtu but ......Well you all get the idea

CHuck

Re: Kubuntu 6.06 unhappy on Dell

Linux is generally not very happy with internal winmodems. The best support for an Intel modem I found was from Suse.

You could buy a new internal modem which definitely has support for Linux. There is one which costs £14.99+pp on the UK. See https://www.linuxmedia.co.uk/product...5408d199328fee

You could use an external modem. They are certainly not winmodems. Linux is very happy with these.

On installing see How to install ANYTHING on Ubuntu at http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/ It is Ubuntu and not Kubuntu and there can be small differences.

Try another program rather than Amarok...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Don't worry, most operating systems incl Windows don't like Dell's these days.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        Linux is generally not very happy with internal winmodems. The best support for an Intel modem I found was from Suse.

You could use an external modem. They are certainly not winmodems. Linux is very happy with these.

On installing see How to install ANYTHING on Ubuntu at http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/  It is Ubuntu and not Kubuntu and there can be small differences.

Try another program rather than Amarok...
        I got that nice Zoom external, but it won't connect at anything better than 9600 baud. Any ideas on that?
        Thanks folks

Chuck

Comment

What happens if you use your external modem and adjust the baud rate in KPPP?

KPPP>Configure>Modems>Edit>Device>Connection Speed
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

With regards to Amarock, are you trrying to play mp3's?
            If I remember correctly, Kubuntu doesn't come with support for playing mp3's.
            You need to google for easyubuntu, and use that to install the ability to play them, and various video codecs too, it's pretty much idiotproof too, after all I managed to get it running

Comment

I blieve you're right, Amarok doesn't do mp3. I believe it does work with Ogg Vorbis, because it's open source and it's preferred, because I believe mp3 isn't open source. And Linux is all about open source, right?

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                What happens if you use your external modem and adjust the baud rate in KPPP?

KPPP>Configure>Modems>Edit>Device>Connection Speed
                Nothing it stays 9600 baud. Now in Winblows I get 49000 K. In Mandriva I get @ the same.

Posted by: asharin
                With regards to Amarock, are you trrying to play mp3's?
                If I remember correctly, Kubuntu doesn't come with support for playing mp3's.
                You need to google for easyubuntu, and use that to install the ability to play them, and various video codecs too, it's pretty much idiotproof too, after all I managed to get it running
                Damn!!!! I did not even think of that. You are right they where MP3 and a few WMA files. Once I get a modem working I'll fix that. 960o reminds of the days of BBS and your choice of colors, Green and black and gold and black.

Thanks
                Chuck

Comment

No problem, first thing I did was get the right codecs in so I could play my mp3 collection

Comment

Well looks a a Dell 2400 and Kubunu are not made for each other. Finally unistalled it and loaded Mandriva 10.1 and one minor config of my modem and off it went. Kbuntu looks like a great system. I have put it on a few other machines but this is the first Dell and first set of LOTS of problems.

Be Well

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    X