This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't create folders in, or copy files to my internal Hard Drive

Hi. I am a complete novice on kubuntu. My HP G6 Pavillion laptop crashed and I can not get Windows 7 to load anymore. I've used a USB drive with kubuntu on it to boot kubuntu onto the laptop. That works. As long as I use the "Try kubuntu" option. I tried to install kubuntu directly onto my hard drive a couple times, but I got various error messages. So for now I'm running kubuntu from the USD drive.

My problem is: While I can SEE my internal hard drive (623 GB free space)in kubuntu's file manager, I can't create new folders in it, or move any new files onto it. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thank you,
    Lane

Notes:
    -kubuntu release: 18.10
    -version of KDE: I see no number on the "About KDE-Dolphin" window. Near the top of the window it says "KDE - Be Free!"
    -can't find the Grub version, b/c I don't know how to input the "line" character between "grub" and "grep" in the command: apt-cache show grub | grep ersion

-laptop / i3 processor (32 bit, 64 bit) / integrated graphics, I believe / one internal hard drive / one internal DVD drive

The | character is shift+\

Do you see the install Kubuntu button on the screen when running the live version?

Do you intend to install Kubuntu on top of Windows as you only OS? or do you intend to install Kubuntu next to Windows as a second OS?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      The | character is shift+\
      Thank you, jglen. So I ran the command "apt-cache show grub | grep ersion". It didn't show me the Grub version, though. Actually, nothing happened.

Do you see the install Kubuntu button on the screen when running the live version?
      I'm not quite sure what "live version" means. But when I plug the USB into the laptop, I see two choices: "Try Kubuntu" and "Install Kubuntu". If I click "Try Kubuntu" I can get Kubuntu running on the laptop. If I click on "Install Kubuntu" it appears to be going through the installation process. But, in the end, I get an error message saying installation was not successful.

Do you intend to install Kubuntu on top of Windows as you only OS? or do you intend to install Kubuntu next to Windows as a second OS?
      Windows crashed recently. And I've been unable to load Windows since then. For this reason my intention is to have Kubuntu as the only OS.

Comment

I might have missed this, but if you're booting to a USB stick, GRUB isn't used so it would be there until you installed and booted to it.

What is missing here is the actual error message you are seeing. If you can't write it down then take a photo of it with your phone. WHY it's not installing is necessary basic information.

Since I have to guess at the problem, I would suspect GRUB is not installing. Likely if you are using an old Win 7 or XP computer, there isn't enough room to install grub because they used the first part of the hard drive within the first partition. To determine if this is the case, boot to USB, open a terminal (Konsole), and type:

sudo fdisk -l

and post the output. What you may see is the first partition starts before sector 2048 as was the practice back then. If so, you will have to either wipe the drive or try to resize the first partition and free up some space in front if it.

Further more, if you or Ubiquity (the installer Kubuntu uses) is set to use GPT (instead of MBR) formatting you will need a special partition for GRUB called a "BIOS boot partition". I create mine using the space from sector 34 to 2047 since that space is not usually used anymore by default.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you, oshunluvr. I am running kubuntu from a USB. When I tried to install kubuntu onto the hard drive, it didn't work. Actually, though, I don't care about that. I don't mind to run kubuntu from the USB.

The problem I'm having is that kubuntu is not allowing me to copy files to the hard drive. Could you tell me how to do that?

Notes:
          I can't see how to attach files to this post. So here links to show what I see on my computer screen after I run kubuntu from the USB:

https://imgur.com/a/cVKFJ6s : top left window is the home folder / top right window is a second USB (which holds the files I want to move onto the hard drive) / bottom window is the hard drive

https://imgur.com/a/ChacH0R: when I try to move a file from the top right window (additional USB) to the bottom window (Hard Drive) I get the error message which you can see on this photo

Comment

You don't have permission to access the drive. Running from USB will mean manually mounting the drive from the command line to get permission to use it. Mounting it with Dolphin by clicking on it mounts it but doesn't change permissions/ownership.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you, oshunluvr. Could you tell me how to manually mount the hard drive from the command line?

Comment

Code:
                $ sudo mount -o rw,remount /your-filesystem-name

Comment

Also, depending on the file system, modifying the owner/group will be required. So once mounted;

sudo chown 1000:1000 /your-filesystem-mountpoint

would probably do it. Once you have done this - both mount manually and mod ownership - opening it with Dolphin may work the way you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

Absolute Beginner

Thank you,andystmartin and oshunluvr. I typed it in EXACTLY as: "sudo mount -o rw,remount /your-filesystem-name" (see image: https://imgur.com/a/9M07mde).

And I got the message: "Mount point does not exist" (again, you can see this is the previous image link).

Did I do something wrong? Perhaps "your-filesystem-name" I'm supposed to replace with whatever my filesystem name happens to be? If so, can you tell me how I can find my filesystem name?

Comment

Your supposed to use the actual mount point the drive is mounted at in place of "your-filesystem-name"

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very much for the guidance, oshunluvr. Even though I may not have a handle on the details , I am at least starting to understand things in broad terms.

I don't know how to find the filesystem name. But, by and chance, is this it? (https://imgur.com/a/Xq5F5WH)

In the hope that is was, I tried to mount the hard drive from the command line. But got the following error message: https://imgur.com/a/VRoN2X3

I wonder if what I've done wrong can be determined from this error message?

Comment

Open Dolphin.
                          Select the drive.
                          When it opens, it will be mounted under /media/ followed by your username.
                          Still using Dolphin, open /media/ your username and you will see the mount point there.
                          Then press F4 and a terminal window will open at the bottom of Dolphin and it will be at /media/ your username.
                          Now type the command;

sudo chown 1000:1000 /media/<your username>/<the mount folder>

and ENTER. Don't type "<your username>" put your actual username in there between the slashes and without the <>. Don't type "<the mount folder>", type the name of the mount Dolphin created after the final slash there without the <>. There shouldn't be any spaces in your username or in the mount folder so don't put any extra spaces in that part of the command.

Assuming this works, you should now have access to the USB device with Dolphin.

You would probably well advised to do some reading on some Linux basics before you do much more. Read up on file/folder ownership, permissions, mounting, and removable devices for starters. Also learn some correct terminology for these areas. IT will help you communicate with others on forums.

Assuming you're coming from Windows, Linux and it's filesystems are all about security. Files and folders are "owned" and have strict "permissions" to allow access. Windows and it's file systems do not. This is the primary reason that while there are tens or hundreds of thousands of Windows viruses on the internet there are none for Linux. A virus cannot access files it's doesn't have permissions to use.

Mounting, especially removable devices, takes many forms - meaning there are more than a couple ways to mount file systems. The way that's best for you will vary depending on the device type, file system, and your usage.

Also note, here on this forum and most others I assume, we can't possibly know the username you have chosen when you install nor do we know the device name, file system type, or any other details about your system or installation. When someone uses "your username" they are suggesting that you use your username, not copy the text letter for letter. It's your duty to fill in the blanks. If you are unsure, post back for more explanation. Also you might want to click on the "Please Read Me" link in my signature for some advice on forum posting.

You have posted enough now that you have permission to attach pictures to your posts without using external services. In the edit bar above the window you type in there should be this symbol:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190408_085033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	644154

Clicking on it should open a picture upload dialog. Note that there are size limits to the uploads so if your picture is too large, convert it to JPG with some compression and crop your photos to only show the need parts.

Also in the future, if you're asked for or post long text files or log files, etc., please enclose them in QUOTE or CODE tags. The same edit bar with the picture upload icon in it has a Quote Balloon icon and a Hash Symbol (#) icon for CODE. Simply highlight the desired text and click the Quote or Code button. Doing this will make any overly long posts more readable. No one wants to scroll through 3 or more pages of text to get to the next comment so very long posts tend to get by-passed altogether.

Welcome to Linux and KFN.

Please Read Me

Comment

Most very much appreciated, oshunluvr. I am going to work through this today. Hopefully I will do it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by lane99 View Post
                              Most very much appreciated, oshunluvr. I am going to work through this today. Hopefully I will do it correctly.
                              Well if not, we'll be here.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X