This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot access root

Hi, I am new to Linux and am trying to install some software. This should be no problem as I am trying to install firefox. I was told I needed root access to place firefox in the bin folder but when im in the shell and enter su and my password it will not grant me access. Is this the way to install on linux? any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: cannot access root

Instead of su, you should use sudo or kdesu... Check the wiki about this, su is not used as you're not setting password for root.

If you need a kind of root shell, you can use the command from a konsole.
    sudo -i

Cheers

Comment

thanks alot...i read the wiki and got firefox installed i just cant find where it installed to. any suggestions?

Comment

Hi jaredlet,

I am new to Linux too. You will probably find Firefox under K-menu/Internet
        Alternatively you can press “Alt+Spacebar” to launch Katapult and then just type “F” or Firefox and you will get it. Katapult is in general a very convenient way to launch applications. Just launch him and then type a few letters antil you see your application.

All best

Comment

Usually you don't have to know where it was installed (the executable should be in /usr/bin). When you install a package, the executables are put in a directory that's in your PATH (PATH defines the directories which linux looks for the executable), so you can run firefox with just the 'firefox' command.

Also, as mentioned in the previous post, most packages also install a link to the program in the k-menu (You can also add/edit the link if you wish). Sometimes the link is not visible until you log out and back in (you can also try restarting kicker, opening the kmenueditor and saving or running 'kbuidsycoca --noincremental')

I think katapult will only look in the k-menu for programs. So if there's no link in k-menu, katapult can't find firefox.

You can also launch it with the run dialog, press Alt+F2 and type 'firefox'

Comment

Working...
          X