Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't get my desktop to run video files without suddenly crashing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Multimedia] I can't get my desktop to run video files without suddenly crashing.

I imported my video files from Ubuntu which they ran fine. In the new videos folder all movie files have a large ? marks on them, is this normal?
    I've installed VLC, SMPlayer, MVP media player. The result is always the same. It stops when it feels like it,and I have no control over were I want to forward the movie to, as that action also makes a grand exit.
    I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 The laptop is a 4th geb i7 with 2 cores I believe and 12GB RAM.
    Can somebody help me?

I will guess that the copied files are corrupted or incomplete, the "?" may indicate that. Compare file sizes between the originals and the copied files, and perhaps try copying a few again, using different stick if one was used for this. Can you access the files from the Ubuntu drive, if that is on the same system as Kubuntu?

Comment

No, the one from the ubuntu drive is in a different laptop. Common denominator was the USB key. I'll try another.

Comment

Still can't solve it. I downloaded fresh files, they all show a blank stop with a "?" on them as if file associations haven't been properly set.
        The I click, I watch for a few minutes, and it's gone. If I click forward or backward on any of the players, the program just quits.
        In need of help

Comment

Are you comparing file sizes between the original and the copied content? Do the copied files play coorectly from the usb stick in Ubuntu? When copying, are you waiting for Plasma (on gnome ) to notify you that the file have finished copying? Have you tried yet another thumb drive (I once found out the hard way i had *three* bad ones )
          I am grabbing at straws here, sorry.

One thing to try if this keep happening is to zip the files first, then copy and move.

Comment

this is what it looks like

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger View Post
              I imported my video files from Ubuntu which they ran fine. In the new videos folder all movie files have a large ? marks on them, is this normal?

No.

At here. With the Breeze icon theme the file types can be determined from the icons:

If the preview/thumbnailing is on the preview thumbnail can be seen:

Probably your image is showing the 'Unknown' icon (icon theme ?)

What tells the 'file' command ?
              How to Determine the File Type of a File Using Linux: https://www.lifewire.com/file-linux-...ommand-4097142

Originally posted by Frogger View Post
              I've installed VLC, SMPlayer, MVP media player. The result is always the same. It stops when it feels like it,and I have no control over were I want to forward the movie to, as that action also makes a grand exit.
              An error message could help.

To get possible error messages you could start the VLC/MPV from the konsole window:

Code:
              vlc /path/to/media/file
              or
              Code:
              mvp /path/to/media/file
              The SMPlayer has internal logs for the backend (mplayer/MPV) and the frontend (SMPlayer):

Last edited by Rog131; Feb 24, 2019, 06:33 AM.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to illustrate this. For some reason, the solution isn't working on my files. I have the preview on, the icons as you suggested, but other than different colored folders, the files inside haven't changed.
                I did notice though that .png files do have the preview feature now available, just not video files.

Comment

Are the files on the the thumb drive the same size as the ones on your Ubuntu machine?
                  In Ubuntu, can you play the videos from the thumb drive? If they do, what player?
                  In Kubuntu, can you play the files from the thumb drive?
                  When you copy the files to Kubuntu, are you waiting for the OS to tell you that it has completed copying?

I am still leaning towards corrupted/incompletely transferred files, as they do play partially. The question is where it i happening.

Comment

Working...
                  X