X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop doesn't see the USB drive as bootable

Hi there

I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Kubuntu on my laptop. My current version is so old that I can't install any software anymore.

So I've downloaded the latest 64 bit Kubuntu iso (18.10). I have a flash drive with a capacity of 8GB. I've used Unetbootin to create a live USB, but when I restart, the laptop doesn't list the USB as a bootable device, so it just goes straight to the hard drive. I've used Ubuntu with live USBs for 7 or 8 years now and I've never had this problem before.

When I restart the laptop and go to the BIOS menu (or whatever it's called) I see the following information in the 'Boot' section:

Boot Model [UEFI]
    Fast Boot [Enabled]
    USB Boot [Enabled]
    PXE Boot to Lan [Enabled]

EFI
    ubuntu (KINGSTON SUV 400S37120G)
    EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (...some identifier...)
    EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (...some identifier...)

I have tried reformatting the flash drive and then reinstalling the iso with Unetbootin several times, and I've also tried copying the iso onto the flash drive using dd instead. But the result is always the same.

When I run fdisk -l I actually see two partitions on the flash drive as follows:

Disk /dev/sdb: 7.5 GiB, 8054112256 bytes, 15730688 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x63670a28

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1 * 0 3801087 3801088 1.8G 0 Empty
    /dev/sdb2 3722168 3727095 4928 2.4M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

They must be created by installing the iso because they reappear when I remove all partitions and create a new one, then install the iso again.

I notice that it's the first partition which is marked as bootable with the asterisk (*). I thought I'd see what happened if I made the other partition bootable instead. I tried using the 'a' option of fdisk (followed by 'w' of course), but this makes no difference. fdisk -l still shows the first partition as the bootable one, and the laptop still can't see the USB as bootable.

I've run out of ideas now. Can anyone help?

btw I'm not exactly a new guy, but I'm having trouble getting started here so this seemed like the most relevant topic...

First, do use dd to make your USB Kybuntu installer flash drive (as you did).
    Use 64-bit Kubuntu (as you have done).

This is what my USB Kubuntu live installer flash drive looks like, same as yours (so your looks OK to me):

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    Disk /dev/sdb: 14.7 GiB, 15733161984 bytes, 30728832 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x418c5dc0

Device     Boot   Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1  *          0 3673855 3673856  1.8G  0 Empty
    /dev/sdb2       3593184 3597855    4672  2.3M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    In UEFI-BIOS-Firmware, disable Fast Boot.
    Disable CSM (if you have that option).
    Enable UEFI boot (as it seems you did).

Boot the USB in UEFI mode, re-boot if necessary to make your UEFI Kubuntu USB show up properly in your BIOS Boot menu or a BIOS menu called something like Boot Override menu.
    This, too:

Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode: With the DVD/USB installer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer. Find the boot menu (or boot override menu) where the bootable devices are listed. Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB (it may also show up as a "normal" DVD/USB choice). Look for UEFI /(FAT) or a reference to UEFI. (Example: a DVD may appear as "UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB)") Select the UEFI DVD or USB option from the firmware boot menu and boot up with it. Now proceed as you usually do to install Kubuntu. If asked where to install GRUB boot-loader, simply choose sda (it won't really matter as the installer will automatically identify and use the proper ESP (EFI System Partition)).
    From
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977

Try all that.

Btw, this, from your post above:
    ubuntu (KINGSTON SUV 400S37120G)
    Is that your USB flash drive? If so, it does NOT have any UEFI/EFI identifiers in it, which it should. As I say, re-boot again with your USB still plugged, to see if that makes any difference (I've had that happen to me once and had to boot/re-boot twice to get it recognized by BIOS).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

And, just in case, I'll drop this, although it's a bit too soon:

Does your laptop have a GPT (GUID Partition Table), the new kind of partition table (as opposed to the older MBR)?
      I'll bet it does.
      If, so, does your hard drive have an ESP--EFI System Partition?
      Make sure it does before you install Kubuntu.

Configure your UEFI firmware This is up to you and depends on what you want or need. Do this before installing Kubuntu.
      (Recent personal example, for easy UEFI booting: CSM (compatibility support module): set to Auto (default)--or just turn it OFF; Disable Secure Boot: Change to “Other O/S”, which disables Secure Boot for the ASUS UEFI; and Disable Fast Boot.)

Partition the HDD with GParted: GPT and include an ESP (EFI System Partition)
      GParted version you'll need: "amd64 64-bit version runs on x86-64 based computers, with ability to access more than 4 gigabytes of memory, and supports use of multiple processor cores. For newer (>2010) computers with UEFI instead of legacy BIOS try this one."

Prior to installing Kubuntu, partition the drive using GParted Live CD/USB. Do this as you normally do, note two things: (1) Make a new partition table, type GPT (Device > Create Partition Table: gpt); and (2) Make a special partition for the ESP (EFI System Partition: it will contain boot loaders for the computer). It may be anywhere, but keep it simple/standard and, if possible, use the first partition sda1; 100-512 MB (recommended at least 200 MB); FAT 32; in GParted set the boot flag on it (this marks it as the ESP or type EF00); and optionally you may set a label to recognize it (Partition > Label).
      Again, from:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If your current install is using GRUB2 (the newest GRUB), you can boot directly from an ISO rather easily.

Just copy the ISO to your /boot folder, edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and add this to the file:

menuentry 'Kbuntu 18.04 ISO' --class iso {
        set isofile="/boot/kubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso"
        loopback loop (hd0,3)$isofile
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
        }
        Use the name of whatever ISO you're trying to install and modify the (hd0,3) to match your drive and partition. Drives are numbered from zero but partitions from one - I have no idea why someone thought it was a good idea to number them differently .

Then run "update-grub" and reboot. Select the ISO and go for an install. IMO, your best bet is to have a fresh partition to install to and leave your current one intact just in case. Once the new install is good to go, then you can delete the old one. OF course, if you're committed to the upgrade and your home is backup up, go for it.

Please Read Me

Comment

True ... but IMO he needs to diagnose this issue with both the USB and the UEFI-BIOS ... also to be able to use the USB as a rescue medium in the future.

Comment

Well, I saw the issue as the OP requested - to be able to boot and install a newer version of Kubuntu. The USB not booting is causing the issue, but not the primary goal. Not saying I disagree that one should be able to boot to USB if the BIOS supports it, but what if it can't? Like it's broken or unsolvable? An alternative to buying a new laptop seemed in order. Also, I thought it might be easier to trouble-shoot if the OP was on a current version of Kubuntu, but maybe not.

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you tried something other than unetbootin? This tool has been mostly unreliable in my experience the past few years for making Ubuntu disks. Rosa or Etcher have never failed me, nor has mkusb. Same for Rufus in Windows.

What was the specific dd command that was used?

Have you verified the iso download or grabbed a fresh copy?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X