X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup and restore kubuntu on a smaller drive

Hello,
    I am wondering what is the best way to backup my / and /home and restore it on a new smaller drive. I guess 'dd' won't work for this. Please advise.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

clonezilla or maybe rsync will do it. Can you install both drives at the same time?

You'll have to install GRUB o the new drive to be able to boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      clonezilla or maybe rsync will do it. Can you install both drives at the same time?

You'll have to install GRUB o the new drive to be able to boot.
      Thank you for the comment.
      I thought clonezilla is same as 'dd' which is sector by sector backup.
      And isn't rsync just a smart copy tool? I don't think it will backup '/' while it is in use.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Can you install both drives at the same time?.
        Yes I can.

I was thinking to install a fresh kubuntu on a new drive and then copy my existing installation over the fresh one and overwrite. Is it going to work?

Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 19, 2019, 03:57 PM. Reason: Fix quoted inclussion

Comment

If you install fresh on the new drive, and then copy your old / on top of the new /, your /etc/fstab will refer to the old drive and booting will be a problem.

On the other hand if you fresh install on the new drive, reinstall the old applications to the / on the new drive, and then ONLY copy the old /home on top of your new /home, you will recover all the application configs that you originally had. It's not complicated, but follow the steps.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I am going to try Timeshift. Looks like it does exactly what I need.

Comment

If your /home is in a separate partition, then copy everything (/ and /home) to your new drive. Then do a fresh install making sure you only format the / partition and retain the /home. Once the fresh install is done, then just reinstall any apps that were not included in fresh install. You'll be back in business.

You can use rsync, it's just a "copy to target", not a pick up and move.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by AndriusWild View Post
                ... rsync... I don't think it will backup '/' while it is in use
                IIUC (other than using dd) that's a windows problem that Linux doesn't have. There might be the odd inconsistency in the logs, and you wouldn't want to do a backup while something heavy, f.ex. an APT update, is running, but Linux doesn't mind.

"A smaller drive" sounds like an SSD. I can do a fresh install (from SSD to SSD, boot till "install complete") in seven minutes. Now if you're booting from a USB2 drive it's going to be somewhat slower, and then the first APT update will take a while, but my point is that it's quick and copying the install wouldn't save much time.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X