X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usb Stick Write Permission

Hello there,

I am a kde lover, have been using it for a few years now, awesome!

I have a problem with the usb stick mounting. The system mounts it read only, what make it useless, since the idea is to be able to copy data to it, not just read it.

I searched the net for a solution but all the fix that I found is to manually edit all mounts to have write permission. So I have to plug the usb stick, open a terminal, get the UIID or IUUD.., type some stuff, save, unplug the usb stick, plug back again... What a pain. Not great.

In other kde distros the problem seems to be fixed, where you just plug in your usb stick and have read/write permissions as default.

I have two questions:

1. How to permanently configure the system to mount all usb sticks with the option to read/write as default, without having to manually edit every mount, every time...?
    2. Since some other distros already have it setup in this way (like the defunct mintkde - :-( ), why dont kubuntu do the same and make the life of the users easier, having it as default?

Thanks in advance.

Kubuntu 18.04 (64 bits),
    Plasma 5.12.7
    Desktop
    AMD FX 8300
    Ram 16 Gb

The issue is usually file system choice. If your USB sticks are VFAT or NTFS, they should be accessible upon insertion. If they are a POSIX file system like EXT2/3/4, then you have to modify ownership of the file system at first insertion. Tell us which applies to you and someone may offer guidance.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I have a bunch of them, and they are all FAT32.

Comment

OK, well if they are VFAT, they should mount R/W automatically when you open them with Dolphin. You can do that by opening Dolphin and clicking on the drive or you should get a Notification when you insert the drive, and it will offer you the option to "Open with File Manager". They shouldn't be read-only unless you've changed something or done something unintentional to your system.

The system automounts in the /media folder and then your username. The folders are root owned but you should have special permissions that allow you access.

So let's look at this. Open a terminal (Konsole) and type;

sudo getfacl /media/<YOUR_USER>

use your username after media. You should see this output:

Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names[/COLOR]
        # file: media/<your_user>
        # owner: root
        # group: root
        user::rwx
        user:<your_user>:r-x
        group::---
        mask::r-x
        other::---
        [/FONT]

Please Read Me

Comment

I got these results: