Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success! I did it (with a little help from my friends). I used Windows' disk management tool to shrink the Windows partition, and installed Kubuntu on the new partition. I gave Windows somewhere over 600 GB and Kubuntu somewhere over 300 GB. Everything is working fine on both systems. The wife is too tired to play with it tonight (she conks out not long after sunset; I'm a nightowl). But I taped some notes to the laptop so she can get things up and running tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch for all the great help. Maybe I could have done it on my own, but it would have been a lot scarier. what a great OS Kubuntu is. I will be making a donation shortly.

See you guys around the forum,

Mike from Maine

Comment

Great job! I know how pleasing it feels. I can still remember the giddiness I felt here when I first became a member and was seeking assistance, got it, and resolved issues! I was ecstatic and did the happy dance.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good job, Mike from Maine!

Maybe I could have done it on my own, but it would have been a lot scarier.
        As I said somewhere above, I can relate to that. I put the same decision off for months, even though I am kinda sorta sometimes proficient at Kubuntu booting. If the ASUS laptop we have here had been mine, I would have acted impulsively immediately from the get-go. But I did not want to upset anything to do with my wife's desktop experience at Windows 10, even though the latter is a sluggish POS even on a good day. Now, after installing Kubuntu for her, a few things became apparent: (1) She is really impressed that her Windows 10 is still there! I showed her how she can easily boot into it anytime from the GRUB menu. I think that put her mind at ease and made her feel she was still in control of everything. (2) I transferred all her stuff to Kubuntu and installed her fav apps in Kubuntu (browsers, Skype, etc.) and she was surpised that she could use them in Kubuntu without going into Windows. (3) The plain fact now is simply that she never ever boots into Windows! The Kubuntu is so much snappier, quick, easy, uncluttered, and quick to boot and to re-boot. I boot into Windows now and then to maintain it--get updates and such.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck, and we hope you'll continue to hang out here at Kubuntu with us.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

From your Post #1, I see you've been using 18.04 and are then familiar with how to get the updates on it?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            From your Post #1, I see you've been using 18.04 and are then familiar with how to get the updates on it?
            If you mean ordinary updating, sure I keep it up to date. If you mean installing newer versions, no I haven't, still on 18.04. I tend to stay on the LTS version.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Great job! I know how pleasing it feels. I can still remember the giddiness I felt here when I first became a member and was seeking assistance, got it, and resolved issues! I was ecstatic and did the happy dance.
              It was a huge relief. On my own computer, I usually dive right in. If I screw up, that's just a learning opportunity. She doesn't want learning opportunities, she wants a computer that works.

BTW, she calls it Ka-Boom-To. She sailing right along with it. Still haven't decided on email. I have Kmail going for her, but don't have her contacts in yet. Not sure what file format to export them from in Thunderbird. On the other hand, she is familiar with Tbird, so I may go with that. Or have them both there and she can decide which to use.

Comment

If you mean ordinary updating, sure I keep it up to date.
                That's what I meant. I wasn't sure if you were following the discussion re Discover update functions.

If you mean installing newer versions, no I haven't, still on 18.04. I tend to stay on the LTS version.
                Good idea to stay with 18.04, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X