This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Kubuntu ISO

I downloaded Kubuntu 18.10; the ISO file is called kubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64. This distro works only in amd-processors? I have Intel core-i 5 (8º Generation). I am a Windows user of a lifetime, but I want to try linux. If I can not use Kubuntu, which distro would you recommend me?. Thanks in advance.

amd64 is the name of the CPU architecture, which is not specific to a brand and is used by Intel as well as AMDm, so you are good to go.

It was created by AMD, but soon adopted by Intel.

Comment

Kubuntu 18.10 should work just fine. Without knowing what specific specs and components, there should be no problems - at least nothing that isn't fixable

Burn the ISO to a USB thumb drive (=> 2GB). Stick it in a USB port, turn off "Fast Boot" and reboot. There could be some UEFI issues, but very likely can be resolved. When it boots to Live mode, give it your WIFI password, or plug it in to ethernet and play with it. Come back with questions ...
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        amd64 is the name of the CPU architecture, which is not specific to a brand and is used by Intel as well as AMDm, so you are good to go.

It was created by AMD, but soon adopted by Intel.
        Just because I nit-pick: amd64 is the CPU Instruction set, not the Architecture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

This being important only because there are other 64-bit architecture CPUs out there that are not amd64 compatible, like the Itanium aka IA-64 CPUs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Instalation

thank you!. I will prove it.

Comment

Working...
          X