Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming over from windows, a few questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming over from windows, a few questions.

I'm trying to ditch microsoft in favor of linux. I've used windows since the early Xp days, so there will be a lot of learning for me here. Please remember I'm a total newb to linux. I landed on Kubuntu because I'm very visual and Kubuntu seemed to offer the best visuals in the linux world. Which is very important to me.

My question is in regards to the icons. For some reason they like to sit very far apart, and I would like to be able to get them to be much closer together. Is there some way to modify how close the icons on the desktop can be placed to one another?

Next question, is there some way I can change the distance of the letters below each icon? I'd like that to be closer to the icon, and I'd also like the words to NOT be italicized.

Hi
    thank you for visiting the most friendly forum on the net.
    a) your first question seems rather strange...your ONE BIG CONCERN is the distance between icons?
    b) your second question is about the distance between the letters below the icon.

The answer to the second is to assiduously learn GIMP to change the distances between the letters.
    the answer to the first is to unpack Kubuntu and modify the whole distro. That would then present a totally new distro which you could submit to GitHub. It is possible that the relevant code is between lines 10,245 and 11,546. However I may be wrong since my last mod of Kubuntu was about two years ago to produce Kparadigm shift.

Another answer to the first is to modify the code in the particular interface you are running such as Oxygen, however that will require upstream permissions.

If you have any other concerns please ask.

woodsmoke

Comment

Did you check out the different themes in the Appearance section of "system settings" already? Some may have different spacing but I don't know if the the two parameters you are after can be modified, I actually would be surprised if not. But Themes is where I would start.
      Check out which theme you are using and from there manipulate the file(s) which make up that theme, can't help you with more detail I am afraid.

Edit: No italics here either! (18.04)
      Last edited by Thomas00; Oct 13, 2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

1st question: you might try right click the desktop>icons>icon size. They may be that far apart to accommodate a name for the icon.
        2nd question: seems you may have changed something as I am running 18.04.01 and mine are not in italics, nor was 17.10 or 17.04.

Comment

Well I've decided to abandon Kubuntu for the much more friendly Linux Mint. Where you actually can do the things I mentioned. Thanks anyway!

Comment

bennylava; I too use Linux Mint, but I maintain a presence on this forum because it has proven to be very open to all Linux users.
            I use Linux Mint because the KDE DE no longer works on my old 32 bit laptop and NOT because KDE is unsuitable, I used Kubuntu for a couple of years and really like it.

With respect to your original questions, you want cosmetic changes to the Desktop Environment (DE). Some DEs allow this, others do not, to one degree or another. Since you have so many different options, do test them to find one which suits your taste.

But also do come back here when you have questions. We really are a friendly group.
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post

But also do come back here when you have questions. We really are a friendly group.
              I'm not sure about that, the first reply and from someone who is apparently a senior member told me I'd need to "assiduously learn GIMP" or "to unpack Kubuntu and modify the whole distro." Seems pretty passive aggressive, so I just ignored it and waited for further replies. True or not, it doesn't seem like kubuntu is for me if you'd have to modify the whole distro just to do something as simple as to move icons around. I was pre warned plenty about the acidity of the linux community when seeking help, so I kind of expected it. Doesn't make it appreciated though. But to the people who didn't do that, I do thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

I guess since you use Mint there is no harm in asking you if you know how to change the size of the Window control buttons. I'm running Tara Cinnamon. I guess the latest and greatest, version 19 I believe. The close window button, and the minimize window button, etc, are all tiny. Is there any way to make them larger?

Comment

The reply you reference, from woodsmoke, was intended as humor but you would need to have been here for a while to recognize it as such. I would have recommended lines 10456 through 10512... FYI that's a joke...

Re "acidity", I think that is a characteristic of many online communities, not limited to Linux. My experience, here, is that while there are differences of opinion (I'm Right! No, I'm Right! No, You're Left!), it is usually resolved with agreement to disagree and the community goes on.

RE icon spacing on the desktop, this thread may help:
                https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=136447

Re the size of the window controls in the Titlebar; (- + X), I've never seen the option to adjust this. I use both the XFCE desktop and the KDE desktop, under Linux Mint (two exchangeable harddrives). As noted by Woodsmoke, unless the authors of the DE saw fit to make those parameters accessible via a GUI or configuration file, you are facing the need to dig into the source code, edit the default sizes and recompile the application. Sorry, I realize that is not a satisfactory answer to your question. Since this is a cosmetic change, it should not be a "deal breaker" with respect to using Linux itself, but that is a choice on your part. You'll hear this: "Linux is not Windows", because it is true.

As I noted earlier, try out other Desktops under Linux. There are several and they all look different. I believe I've read that some desktops make an attempt to duplicate the look and feel of a Windows desktop. Personally, I've moved away from Windows (actually, I ran away screaming after Win 7 was released), and don't know which DE looks more like Windows. None-the-less, here is an article which offers suggestions. No guarantee that these still look like Windows:
                https://www.lifewire.com/best-window...clones-2201177
                Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Since bennylava has left the building this link is for any others interested in the issue of italicized text for desktop icons: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post418622
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    The reply you reference, from woodsmoke, was intended as humor but you would need to have been here for a while to recognize it as such. I would have recommended lines 10456 through 10512... FYI that's a joke...

Re "acidity", I think that is a characteristic of many online communities, not limited to Linux. My experience, here, is that while there are differences of opinion (I'm Right! No, I'm Right! No, You're Left!), it is usually resolved with agreement to disagree and the community goes on.

RE icon spacing on the desktop, this thread may help:
                    https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=136447

Re the size of the window controls in the Titlebar; (- + X), I've never seen the option to adjust this. I use both the XFCE desktop and the KDE desktop, under Linux Mint (two exchangeable harddrives). As noted by Woodsmoke, unless the authors of the DE saw fit to make those parameters accessible via a GUI or configuration file, you are facing the need to dig into the source code, edit the default sizes and recompile the application. Sorry, I realize that is not a satisfactory answer to your question. Since this is a cosmetic change, it should not be a "deal breaker" with respect to using Linux itself, but that is a choice on your part. You'll hear this: "Linux is not Windows", because it is true.

As I noted earlier, try out other Desktops under Linux. There are several and they all look different. I believe I've read that some desktops make an attempt to duplicate the look and feel of a Windows desktop. Personally, I've moved away from Windows (actually, I ran away screaming after Win 7 was released), and don't know which DE looks more like Windows. None-the-less, here is an article which offers suggestions. No guarantee that these still look like Windows:
                    https://www.lifewire.com/best-window...clones-2201177
                    Well there's an old internet adage about humor not coming across well via text. Differences of opinion aren't really applicable to this particular situation when I haven't really had much time to to form an opinion, I'm just a newbie looking for help. I think the acidity was well known for being more along the lines of acidity towards newbs. Although I will say I'm not getting that here, and this community does seem to be quite friendly as opposed to other linux places I've checked out. And its much appreciated for sure

I look at windows 7 as the golden age of windows lol. The desktop environment was perfection, they've since downgraded. I ran screaming from Vista back to Xp. Sure I'd have changed the security in W7 were it me in charge, but other than that and a few other more minor points, I have to say that I love windows 7. You couldn't pay me to switch to any other OS on my lesser machines. For example the computer in my garage for music and looking up how to fix something on a car. Also my HTPC. No how, no way I'm switching until windows 7 starts looking like windows 95 to me. Maybe at that point I'll finally install some old version of ubuntu on those machines. I did install Ubuntu on my playstation 3 back in the day though.

That was interesting. But then Sony decided that it was best for their bottom line to remove that feature via update. Thanks sony
                    Last edited by bennylava; Oct 15, 2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

bennylava; I'm running Linux Mint xfce on a Dell Latitude D820 (old, 32 bit, 4GB RAM). It runs very well.
                      I also have a Gateway desktop with Pentium 4s inside, 3GB RAM and 120GB drive. It also runs Linux Mint xcfe, although I am aware of a slowdown due to the lack of ram.

Linux works on older hardware, particularly 32 bit systems. Yes, some distributions are forcing their users to either get a newer 64 bit machine or move away from that distribution... I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, but...

I understand your desire to remain with Win XP. It was the last Windows OS that I used. I did get tired of being 'nagged' by M$ about my failure to upgrade to newer Windows... That, among other things, cost them my loyalty and my business.

Use what works for you. We in the Linux camp will subtly try to woo you into our side (Not the dark side) with smiles and encouragement. Just ignore the occasional troll... They are fun to play with...

Don't be a stranger.

Comment

@bennylava
                        you seem to believe that linux communities have it out for newbies, or you, and there is a reason for that. That reason is not the numerous communities you refer to, so that leaves the other variable, you, and here's why.
                        1. All indications from your posts are that you 40+ and male so people who respond to you who are also male and 40+ respond in a certain way (an example might be calling black people, black people rather than African Americans), and this extends through to humour and taking a bit of flack. Your responses are what one would expect from the politically correct age of much younger people.
                        2. Your post heading/title is far removed from what you are actually asking. The title suggests you are a new Kubuntu user with a few general questions about using a new OS, your questions though are quite specific and refer to the graphics display in quite some detail. This wild divergence immediately puts a question mark in people's minds, so straight away you have put yourself on the back foot.
                        3. Two people have (partly) addressed the issues of italics which you have chosen to completely ignore. This raises the spectre of credibility in people's minds. If multiple people tell you they do not have italics in their icons and you ignore that, what does that mean?

I do not really see public forums in terms of friendly or unfriendly, I see them more in terms of helpful or not helpful. Any forum which is not helpful is a failure regardless of how friendly they are and as a new member (5 months) I find this forum to be helpful both in terms of specific technical advice and general application advice, both of which I have requested and received. And yes this forum is friendly, a number of members have volunteered some more personal information in the short time I have been here which clearly lies outside of the helpful/unhelpful paradigm. Which all begs the question, why does one new member have such a completely different experience?

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
                          why does one new member have such a completely different experience?
                          I've been a member here for along time and have seen all kinds of different new users. The one who fail and complain are usually the ones who think linux is a replacement for window. These uses generally expect the new os to be just like the old os and as a result they have a negative experience in using linux since they try to do the exact same things windows does and do not bother to learn linux. Now we know this is just absurd since they are different systems and linux is not a windows clone and they do not share much of a common design or usage patterns. The other group has some hardware issue that is either not resolved or they can't resolve themselves (this group is shrinking all the time).

@bennlava. Welcome to the best linux support forum. If you think windows 7 is the best an os can be why not just run windows 7? That is a serious question i want to you ask yourself.Moving to a new Os is work you will need to learn the new system now many distros have gotten alot easier to use and setup there. You will still need to take sometime to learn the system to be successful, simply because it is not your old OS. I think you should read this Linux is not windows This will outline a few differences and may help you avoid some of those pitfalls.
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I agree with your assessment that Win7 was the golden age for Microsoft's OS, but that bar was pretty low. Despite that, It was the best OS Microsoft ever released. Vista was, undoubtedly, the worsed. XP and its predecessors were almost equally bad. It was XP's pechant to crash every 20 minutes or so that drove me to eventually end up running RH 5.0 in 1998. I've been with Linux every since on my personal computer and as my workstation at work (SuSE 6.3 at the time -- I retired 10 years ago).

Welcome to KFN!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Bennylava, I switched to Linux 15 years ago. I started with FreeBSD via a recommendation from a friend. That was a very frustrating 3 years trying to get compentent on FreeBSD. Then 12 years ago, another (better?) friend, told me about Kubuntu in the Debian distro line. It was amazing, the OS worked as soon as I installed it. The open office suite keeps me as compatible with M$ Windoze as I need to be with doc files and spreadsheets so I'm never going back.

I love installing SW and not having to reboot the machine to update the registry because there is no registry! The EXT4 file system keeps fragmentation a non-issue, extremely fast, much better specs than NTFS, and did I mention it's fast? (yeah I did). You'll find that Linux is more stable and secure than Windoze and everything in your system can be configured by modifying plain text config files. BTW, I love the fact that I can put multiple periods in a file name (e.g. sshd_config.105.test)

Speaking to icons, in my opinion, they are so robust that I don't need text labels.

I hope you find a distro you're comfortable with and I hope you stick around our forum. BTW, Woodsmoke's answer would have overwhelmed me too. I've been here a long time and I didn't realize he was kidding. Of course now in hindsight I see he was. It's also important you know that he has helped me out more than once with my system. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation.
                              "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
                              X