This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-creating Kubuntu on a new disk

I have changed hard disks in my sytem. I first installed windows as the first partition on my first disk and made the following new partitions on the second disk:

/
    /home
    /usr
    /var
    and a swap partition as it was on my old disk.

So now I pop in the Live CD, but Installing goes only as far as the partitioner, then it hangs up. When I physically remove the old disk from my sytem, I can install on the free space of the first disk with no problems.

After a successfull install, I can add the second disk and mount it. Since I got only 40G per disk, I want to install Kubuntu on its own disk.

Problem is that there is lots of posts explaining the benefits of seperate partitions for the different things, but none give me any idea how to get back the userdata after a reinstall. I can see all my old folders and mount points, but I cannot copy any of it back into my new install.

Please help, I've been struggling for three days now, to no avail.

Re: Re-creating Kubuntu on a new disk

I was roughly in your position. I fitted an old 40Gb drive on its own as primary and installed the new Dapper Drake from CD onto it using the excellent isntructions on linuxloader - http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=28

It explains very clearly how to partition the drive (5Gb system, 2Gb swap and the rest for you if I remember).

Then i put my old disk, with all its data into a USB caddy and copied my user data over that way. Of course you could plug the original drive in as a seondary IDE drive - making sure to set the links on the drive to slave.

Comment

Let me just add what I have and the partitions now before I ask my next question.

First disk:
      Windows
      /boot
      /Linux (only one big partition for now containing everything)
      /swap

Second disk with my previous config.
      /usr
      /Linux (with root files)
      /var
      /home

You say to get my system the back to its previous state, I only need to copy my old files to the new folders? That does not seem to work! I don't see any of my old settings return. I copied a few files manually that I have edited myself, but the rest of the programs don't show unless I reinstall them.

Please help me some more if you don't mind!

Comment

Sorry for the delay, it was late here so I went to bed.

I see your problem now - only your own files are copyable like that, programs must be re-installed. To make this easier go and get www.getautomatix.com, which is a really nifty way of getting all the most commonly required stuff. Linuxloader has good instructions too.

Comment

Working...
        X