This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Ignores cntl-alt-del

Today, installed Kubuntu 18.04 on my HP 15-f024WM laptop but it froze - twice - and would not respond to cntl-alt-del. Had to pull the battery to force a power down.
    Ideas?

While normally running, the laptop responds to cntl-alt-del and properly reboots. But when it freezes, everything freezes, even KSysGuard. Ignores input from mouse, keyboard and power button.
    Software? Hardware?

Pentium N3530 @ 2.16 Ghz
    4 GB DDR
    512 GB HDD
    CD/DVD ODD

Did you check the sha256sum on the download and after burning the install?

Please run
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    and post the results in a CODE box in your reply.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Ctrl+Alt+Del is disabled in Kubuntu by default; has been for quite some time. You wouldn't have had to 'pull the battery'; just press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Ctrl+Alt+Del is disabled in Kubuntu by default; has been for quite some time. You wouldn't have had to 'pull the battery'; just press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down.
        in a logged in session ctrl+alt+del will trigger the the shutdown/logout/reboot/switch user , screen.

at least in Bionic .

IF you freeze , most of the time you can trigger a reboot with "ctrl+alt+sysRq" hold this down and hit and release in order S-U-B

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I handle freezes with Alt+PrintScreen+o (lower-case o), which does the same as ctl+alt+delete. I found this by googling SysReq.

Comment

You can find these key sequences easily (in 18.04):

K > System Settings > Hardware > Input Devices > Keyboard > Advanced -- key sequence to kill the X-server: Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Had to pull the battery to force a power down.
              Probably not a good idea. Also not a good thing to do a hard-reboot. I think I damaged a BIOS-firmware doing that. As Snowhog said,
              just press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down.
              An expert-pal also told me to hold the power key down on the ASUS laptop. I tried that just now to see, and I first got a menu offering re-boot and shutdown; I was continuing to hold that power key down; then the laptop shut itself off. You might play with this.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Did you check the sha256sum on the download and after burning the install?

Please run
                Code:
                inxi -Fxz
                and post the results in a CODE box in your reply.
                Code:
                System:    Host: Orbit Kernel: 4.15.0-29-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
                          Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.6 (Qt 5.9.5) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
                Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 15 Notebook PC v: 0973100003405F00000620180 serial: N/A                                                           
                          Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 233F v: 06.16 serial: N/A                       
                          UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.23 date: 08/05/2015                               
                Battery    BAT0: charge: 21.7 Wh 72.6% condition: 29.8/29.8 Wh (100%)                   
                          model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Discharging                           
                CPU:       Quad core Intel Pentium N3530 (-MCP-)                                        
                          arch: Silvermont rev.8 cache: 1024 KB                                        
                          flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 17326            
                          clock speeds: max: 2582 MHz 1: 1662 MHz 2: 1379 MHz 3: 2582 MHz              
                          4: 2582 MHz                                                                  
                Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display           
                          bus-ID: 00:02.0                                                              
                          Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
                          drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                          Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
                          OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail
                          version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
                Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Def. Audio Controller
                          driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                          Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-29-generic
                Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
                          driver: rtl8188ee port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
                          IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
                          Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
                          driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
                          IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
                          WAN IP: <filter>
                          IF: enp3s0 ip-v4: N/A ip-v6-link: N/A
                          IF: wlp2s0 ip-v4: <filter> ip-v6-link: <filter>
                Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.8% used)
                          ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF0 size: 500.1GB temp: 32C
                Partition: ID-1: / size: 458G used: 8.4G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
                RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
                Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: N/A
                          Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
                Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 38 min Memory: 3258.4/3839.8MB
                          Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
                          Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

Comment

I think the real problem is the lock-up situation, because ctl-alt-del does work at times. The lack of a SWAP partition could be part of the problem, but more than likely it's a video issue. May need to look at logs.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Newbie wail of exasperation mode on
                    . . .
                    I do not know why, but the FREEZE has disappeared once I ran
                    dpkg --configure -a
                    . . .
                    It has not reappeared.
                    Tentatively RESOLVED

Comment

Originally posted by jetgraphics View Post
                      Newbie wail of exasperation mode on
                      . . .
                      I do not know why, but the FREEZE has disappeared once I ran
                      dpkg --configure -a
                      . . .
                      It has not reappeared.
                      Tentatively RESOLVED
                      That meant you had downloaded packages that hadn't been fully configured, which could result in any manner of unexpected system behavior. dpkg --configure -a causes dpkg to configure 'all' unconfigured packages.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X