Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck in catch-22 nightmare. Need 'make to install network driver. No internet.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Stuck in catch-22 nightmare. Need 'make to install network driver. No internet.

As above, I need to compile the driver for my NIC (Intel 82579V)

However for some reason the fresh install of 18.04 does not include make .

See my problem? I need make to compile my network driver, but I need my network driver in order to download and install make

This is seriously a bit of an over sight and I can't see the reason why such and old NIC is not supported not why make is not included by default ?

Strange, I have a fairly fresh install and make is part of the default...

Also, it would be good to know which version of Kubuntu you have and where you got it from.

Comment

As above I'm running 18.04 .

I sourced it through kubuntu.org

Comment

Are you sure you need to build the driver? I have an 82579LM, not sure how similar it is to yours. It has been a while, but I think I had to manually create a new connection, I seem to recall it not automatically configuring one.

If that is not helpful, run this to see if there is a nic detected:
        Code:
        sudo lshw -class network
        Look for the 'driver=', it should be (I think) e1000e

Make is on the disk, if you browse around the 'pool' dir), you should just need to locate the deb file and double click, I do not think make has any dependencies to install.
        I really do not think it is a missing driver, as I see plenty of search hits (old) that seem to indicate it works.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Are you sure you need to build the driver? I have an 82579LM, not sure how similar it is to yours. It has been a while, but I think I had to manually create a new connection, I seem to recall it not automatically configuring one.

If that is not helpful, run this to see if there is a nic detected:
          Code:
          sudo lshw -class network
          Look for the 'driver=', it should be (I think) e1000e

Make is on the disk, if you browse around the 'pool' dir), you should just need to locate the deb file and double click, I do not think make has any dependencies to install.
          I really do not think it is a missing driver, as I see plenty of search hits (old) that seem to indicate it works.
          Okay, so that command sees my NIC. However it says "*-network UNCLAIMED"

Comment

I fixed it by doing two things:

Downloading the latest drive from Intel's website.

Following the instructions here:
            https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post13623259

Comment

Working...
            X