X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access to windows personal files from Kubuntu

Hi everyone,

I’m new to kubuntu and wanted to try it out so I burned the iso file to my usb and installed it but I didn’t get the boot option, so I thought heck let’s just try it for now so I booted it and tried it, as I was browsing I came across my windows partition, just out of curiosity to see if I can view my windows files from here, I went into users and clicked my name and lo and behold, it didn’t ask for any password or anything of that sort and I had access to all of my personal files in windows 10.

Now my question is that is it possible to so easily access anyone’s personal files by just carrying around a usb and booting up kubuntu (which requires no password) and having access to all the personal files of the person? Is this a glitch or a loophole?

I’m a newbie and I’m sorry if I’m missing out some information as I’m reallly shocked! Thank you

Welcome to Win10 and its secure environment!

The Win10 kernel isn't running so none of its security protocols are functioning. ntfs-3g is installed by default on Bionic so it gives Bionic the ability to read and write ntfs formatted disks. Generally, it will read and write Windows files fine.

HOWEVER, IF you want to run Windows applications then you have three choices: Install Windows as a virtual OS inside VirtualBox, or, install WINE and give it a try. VB doesn't work well with WInX DirectX or other highres drivers, so game playing in a Windows virtual machine is not good. WINE works OK on *some* older Windows executables, but probably not on most Win10 exec files. I installed WINE to run a PCL dev developed in 2004 by IQUAN and it still works fine in WINE.

The third choice is using a hyperviser. I'll leave that for homework.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X