This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] KDE Locking up entirely every time I use disk writer

I have replicated this across multiple installs... I write an ISO (like a Linux installer iso) to a thumb drive and kubuntu hangs indefinitely, often up to 10 20 minutes...

The only way to resolve the issue is to killall plasmashell and restart it.

It's very annoying as I need to create bootable flash drives often, and if I don't happen to have a terminal or an instance of dolphin open to start a terminal session, then it's faster to just reboot the damn machine...

Any way to fix this so that disk image writer doesn't lock up my machine?

what are you using to write the ISO to the usb ,,,,,, I have seen posts of the default application "startup disk creator" doing this .

you could use "dd" from the command line , or mkusb, or etcher ,,,a lot around hear recommend "etcher"

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

disk image writer - part of the OS - not a third party app

it is a GUI, not like DD - but more convenient, and shouldn't be breaking kde

Comment

Originally posted by FTLJohnson View Post
        disk image writer - part of the OS - not a third party app

it is a GUI, not like DD - but more convenient, and shouldn't be breaking kde
        I searched for "disk image writer" and cannot find any specific app with that name. What is its actual name? Also, can you run the app from the terminal and highlight any messages / errors it comes up with? This should help with finding out what is causing the issue.
        systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
        Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

usb-imagewriter is an old Ubuntu USB burner that is not in the Bionic repository. I think it was last in Precise.
          It does have a launchpad page,
          https://launchpad.net/usb-imagewriter

Its last update was October 4, 2011. All the site offers are tar files for download. Not a recommended way to install apps on current Kubuntu releases.

You can install Etcher using its AppImage:
          https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1222201/

The download button will give you two options. The top one is 64bit and the bottom one is 32bit. Assuming you have a 64bit box download it and save it somewhere, say, Downloads. Use Dolphin and right click on the AppImage file, select properties, and give it the execute permission. Double click on it to run it. If you don't want it any more just delete it. AppImages are not "installed" or "uninstalled". They contain every library they need to function properly without touching your system.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 19, 2018, 08:29 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Can you replicate this problem on another machine? If not, what are the specs of the machine in question? If you install inxi, the output of inxi -Fxxxz would be informative.

I use mkusb to make Live USBs pretty frequently. No issues on Kubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 so far.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Out of curiosity I've just checked and this image writer is not present in a regular 18.04 install, it looks like you have chosen it yourself, possibly going by it's name.
              Yes it should work but when it fails in multiple installs it is time to look for a different application.

I've never used etcher, when GreyGeek is happy it must be good.

One I successfully use is usb-creator-kde, it has a recent update and is in the repo's, after installation it's known by Startup disk creator.

Comment

Thank you to all. I see the issue, and I forgot I did this (installed gnome "DISKS") right away after installing kubuntu for a totally different and separate use... "Disk image writer" is a part of the gnome-disks-utility. I was using DISKS for a separate reason and was unaware that is was also adding a menu function for the disk image writer. (something I clearly also still use from gnome) I mistakenly believed that was just a default included utility.

Is there a way to either a. get this to stop locking up my system, or b. equivalent / better KDE replacements?

I am seeing Etcher and Startup Disk creator...

What about for DISKS? Is there a similar kind of "combo app" that you might be aware of that also allows for partitioning, etc?

Comment

Hmm, the principle of Unix applications is to do one thing and do it well.

KDE has a nice application for partitioning called partitionmanager.
                  usb-creator-kde is the resident Startup disk creator for KDE.

The first is included in a default installation of Kubuntu, the latter has to be installed by yourself, both are in the default repo's.

Comment

Working...
                  X