This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot find program I installed

I recently installed the program Ksim (a system info program) using Adept. When I updated the applications menu using the menu editor, a link to the program didn't appear like it normally does after I install programs. I tried running the command "ksim" but that must not of been the actual name of the program because it could not run the specified command. I looked in /usr/bin but I could not find anything like it there. It is installed correctly in usr/share/apps. I reinstalled it, but it still isn't there. Help with this would be appreciated.

Re: Cannot find program I installed

hi,

I think you should try to run it by there :
    /etc/kde3/ksim_panelextensionrc

Hope it helped

Comment

Thanks for the response. How am I supposed to run that command? This is what I'm trying:

mattmodica@Stargate:/$ cd /etc/kde3/
      mattmodica@Stargate:/etc/kde3$ sudo ./ksim_panelextensionrc
      sudo: ./ksim_panelextensionrc: command not found
      mattmodica@Stargate:/etc/kde3$

Comment

Sorry really don't know a lot about all this... I just guess it's an applet, you should try to add it to your taskbar, no ?
        Tell me if you found, I would like to know.

Hope it helps

Comment

you say it IS installed in /usr/share/apps? try this: cd /usr/share/apps
          then just type and press enter: ksim (or sudo ksim if ksim doesn't work).
          i don't think you use ./ unless you are compiling from source ?
          good luck.

Comment

When I try to find a program or an apps first I update the database (sudo updatedb)then, I use "locate" to find whatever I am looking for, ie. "locate ksim."

Hoping that it may help you.

Comment

Almax,

if it's a real application you should be able to locate it's "executable" by hacking which into a console (as root) - in your case something like

ROOT # which ksim

should do the trick.

HTH
              Bernd

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. 8)

Originally posted by almax00
                you say it IS installed in /usr/share/apps? try this: cd /usr/share/apps
                then just type and press enter: ksim (or sudo ksim if ksim doesn't work).
                i don't think you use ./ unless you are compiling from source ?
                good luck.
                Its program files are in there, but I can't find the exeutable... I just get a command not found message.

Originally posted by ido
                When I try to find a program or an apps first I update the database (sudo updatedb)then, I use "locate" to find whatever I am looking for, ie. "locate ksim."

Hoping that it may help you.
                Still no sign of the actual executable. It just comes up woth directory names or files with ksim in them.

Originally posted by penguin.ch
                Almax,

if it's a real application you should be able to locate it's "executable" by hacking which into a console (as root) - in your case something like

ROOT # which ksim

should do the trick.

HTH
                Bernd
                When I do this, it just goes into the next line as if I pressed enter without typing anything.

I have installed another program, HWInfo. Its executable is in /usr/sbin. Itrecognizes it as a command at the run command dialoge, but when I run it, it does nothing. The same thing happens if I click on it. I have created a shortcut in the applications menu, but that does the same thing. When I used the steps described by almax00, but I get this message:
                Code:
                > misc.2.1: ioSegmentation fault

Comment

TheMatt,

in the meantime, I've installed KSim on my (virtual) machine. And it really works - but quite differently from what we have expected, I suppose: in order to get things going, I had to right-klick on a panel (!) and select "Add New Panel - KSim" ...

Bernd

Comment

Thanks! That worked.

About HWInfo: If I go into Applications:/System and click on the HWInfo icon there, I get this message.
                    Code:
                    Service '/home/mattmodica/.local/share/applications/HWInfo.desktop' is malformatted.

Comment

Working...
                    X