X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover vs Synaptic vs Muon

A couple of new-to-KDE questions...

Prior to coming to Kubuntu from Linux Mint, and more recently from Debian Stretch, I'm familiar with using Synaptic. I read somewhere that Muon is a KDE version of Synaptic, and that Synaptic is also available to install.

First question regarding Muon vs Synaptic: Are there opinions whether there are any benefits of using one over the other, or are they essentially the same?

Second Question: Is Discover just a pretty front-end to Muon, or is yet another manager? Other than the pictures, any benefits to using Discover over Synaptic or Muon? It seems a little slower, with the "searching for updates" arrow constantly going around in circles.

Appreciate your input. Thanks!!

Discover isn't a Package Manager. Never has been. Never will be. Synaptic is 'long in the tooth', although still very much functional. Muon (Muon Package Manager) 'as the preferred' GUI Package Manager is what you should install/use, IMHO as well as the HO of many other users here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My opinion...

Discover isn't a package manager. It sort of facilitates "discovery" of software and can install stuff. It seems to be intended for those at an "app store" level; if you're familiar with synaptic I think you'd only use it for simple tasks. I imagine a lot of KDE users don't like it because it has been unreliable in the past.

I much prefer muon to synaptic. That's mostly a preference for Qt (and KDE theming) over GTK, but also because muon only asks for privilege and takes the APT lock when it needs it, whereas synaptic always does that when it starts. Annoying when I just want to check some detail, like a version or an installed file. Or using other APT tools. I came to muon after a few years of using synaptic.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks! Appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
        X