X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS partition issue

Hi everybody!
    (Hi Dr Nick!)

pls excuse me if i'm asking some stupid questions, but i used windows for more than two decades and probably lack the right mindset.

i instaled kubuntu (one "/" partition , one "/home", swap 8gb) and since i had some data in a separate NTFS partition (used with now deleted windows) i left that partition as it was.

so far so good, except that partition behaves weirdly.

i can move to trash some files, some cant and deleting is taking really long time (trash often crashes).

i'm a total newb but when i clicked on properties it says i'm the owner and have read/write permissions?

can u help me out?

tnx in advance
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 24, 2018, 03:32 PM. Reason: Issue specific title change

oh and forgot to mention i'm using normal installation of
    Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

on thinkpad i3 processor
    4gb ram
    1 hdd
    1 dvd

Comment

Welcome.

Check to see if you have the package ntfs-3g installed.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you're no longer using Windows, it's probably time to move those files off there and reformat.

In the mean time, check log files (/var/log/...) and dmesg for error messages when your operations "crash"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Welcome.

Check to see if you have the package ntfs-3g installed.
          tnx for a quick reply

i copy pasted some code i found and it said

ntfs-3g install

i thought this comes with default installation?

oshunluvr
          If you're no longer using Windows, it's probably time to move those files off there and reformat.

In the mean time, check log files (/var/log/...) and dmesg for error messages when your operations "crash"
          i was thinking that solution to this could be easier than to backup 300GB of files

a looked up in /var/log/ folder and couldnt find 'dmesg' ?

PS as i said,i'm a newbie, so i hope i dont make you bored/mad/whatever

Comment

So to install the ntfs-3g, open a terminal (konsole) and type;

sudo apt update
            sudo apt install ntfs-3g

ntfs is a Window drive format. I would not expect any Windows-only thingys to be installed by default.

"dmesg" is a function of sorts. In the terminal window, typing "dmesg" will print out a list of the latest things reported to some logs. Error messages often appear there but so do actions - for example, do "dmesg" then plug in a thumb drive and do "dmesg" again. You'll see several messages about the thumb drive and its' partitions and formatting, etc. It's a good basic place to start when researching problems.

Don't worry about being a noob here. We troll to help out, not critique. Having said that, it's a good idea to title your posts with specific topical info and to include as much detail early on. You'll get quicker and more responses that way.

Welcome to Linux, Kubuntu, and KFN.

Please Read Me

Comment

NTFS partition issue

A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step.

"dmesg" is a utility that displays, in a Konsole (terminal), the log files. A KDE utility, ksystemlog, presents the same information in a GUI.

Linux is, as you suspected, a totally different mind set from Windows.

In Linux, EVERYTHING is a file. Everything that isn't a file is treated as a file; printers, mice, etc...
              There are two kinds of files in Linux: those that can be executed and those that cannot.
              Of those that can be executed there are two varieties: binary ELF files and BASH (Bourne Again SHell) script; text files where the first line begins with "#!/bin/bash" and subsequent lines contain valid BASH script commands, and has its execute permission but set. You can learn about most things in Linux by using the man command (i.e., manual). So, in a Konsole, entering "man bash" opens the manual explaining the bash utility.

About ntfs-3g. In Kubuntu 18.04 ntfs-3g comes preinstalled under /bin. "bin" is short for binary, a subdirectory of root ("/") where many, but not all, binary files exist. Another bin subdirectory is at /usr/bin. Snowhog wanted you to check to see if ntfs-3g was installed because you could have inadvertently deleted it while doing something as root.

However, with Kubuntu running the plasma-desktop (created using the Qt API), using the Konsole isn't a necessity. But for those Linux gray hairs it is often the fastest way to do something, if one knows how. For young Penquins there are videos explaining how to configure the plasma desktop:

Kubuntu has what are called "repositories". A repository is a remote server that offers up various Linux & KDE related utilities, applications, games, etc., by running Discover, which is an application that connects automatically to the repositories pre-programmed into its sources.list. There are, currently,, 91,034 files (apps, utilities, games, etc.) available for downloading and installation in the repository. UNTIL you become familiar with Kubuntu specifically, and Linux in general, DO NOT install apps from sources outside of the repository, for reasons of both security and stability.

At any given moment updates (patches to programs you've installed, security fixes, etc...) are available. Discover tells you that this is the case by putting an icon in the system tray telling you that updates are available. Clicking on that icon automatically installs the updates. Or, you can open a Konsole and issue
              sudo apt update
              sudo apt full-upgrade

That's what I always do, about once a day, if I remember to do it. I've removed Discover and installed muon for a variety of reasons.

Unless you are into playing games that are only available for users of Windows, there is no real reason to keep it around because there are world class open source apps written for Linux users that rival anything Microsoft offers. And, for those Windows apps that you can't do without, for which no Linux substitute is available, there is always the possibility that WINE will run it nicely. The PLC dev tool I use is an example:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post418556
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 26, 2018, 02:21 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                So to install the ntfs-3g, open a terminal (konsole) and type;

sudo apt update
                sudo apt install ntfs-3g

ntfs is a Window drive format. I would not expect any Windows-only thingys to be installed by default.

"dmesg" is a function of sorts. In the terminal window, typing "dmesg" will print out a list of the latest things reported to some logs. Error messages often appear there but so do actions - for example, do "dmesg" then plug in a thumb drive and do "dmesg" again. You'll see several messages about the thumb drive and its' partitions and formatting, etc. It's a good basic place to start when researching problems.

Don't worry about being a noob here. We troll to help out, not critique. Having said that, it's a good idea to title your posts with specific topical info and to include as much detail early on. You'll get quicker and more responses that way.

Welcome to Linux, Kubuntu, and KFN.
                first of all i'm embarased and humbled how some people take a big deal of their time and patience to help a total stranger

tnx guys, rly

i copied your code and although it said that i already have the newest version of of ntfs-3g, now it works (i think) ... when i shift+delete, it just deletes and now i can even create new folders so i guess its a full read/write permission.

very happy this was the only thing that didnt work out of the box, im astounded how well thought and mature this system is (cant believe basic users still pay for windows when u have this) and i used windows, macos, ubuntu/lubuntu...

@GreyGeek

thank you for a thorough response, i will take my time and read/watch what you posted here

Comment

Originally posted by ovizarde View Post
                  first of all i'm embarased and humbled how some people take a big deal of their time and patience to help a total stranger

tnx guys, rly
                  Never be embarrassed, we are all still learning, too! Each and every one of us has been in your shoes, and someone took some time to offer help. This is, to many of us, how we "pay" for all of this free stuff we get to use

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Never be embarrassed, we are all still learning, too! Each and every one of us has been in your shoes, and someone took some time to offer help. This is, to many of us, how we "pay" for all of this free stuff we get to use
                    Tnx claydoh

----

Again i have a problem, the evil files are back! :P

i thougt they were deleted but alas

now i dont even have an option when i rightclick to move them to trash

konsole gives back : failed to remove ... Read-only file system

well, back to google...
                    Last edited by ovizarde; Aug 25, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X