This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons with dumbbells, font

I have icons for Firefox, LibreOffice and TB on my desktop. They all have little dumbbell overlays. What do these signify?

And, can the italicised font be changed? I cannot find a way to do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Icon.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	649362

Thanks!

My guess is that the symbol indicates that the 'Icon' is a link to the actual application.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      My guess is that the symbol indicates that the 'Icon' is a link to the actual application.
      Yes, it most definitely is.

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post

And, can the italicised font be changed? I cannot find a way to do this.

Thanks!
        Italic font changed in the editor, though you have to select the text twice, once to set italic, and again to set the font, color, or size. The editor *should* keep the same text highlighted so you can select multiple options without have to re-select the text. The standard italic font is barely italic, for sure.

Comment

Thanks to both.

I'm not having much success using Kate to enter new icon title. Maybe I'll use a simpler text editor.

Comment

When I enable folder view and drag a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to the desktop I get a little window with a choice to copy here or link here; the latter has the dumbbell icon.

If you choose copy here, you'll get an icon with regular text but with a little exclamation mark that goes away after you mark it a trustworthy and executable.

If you choose link here, you'll get the dumbbell icon and italics text. But that one launches straight away without asking you to confirm anything.

PS: I'm guessing you won't easily be able to change the italics to regular because that's how (soft/symbolic?) links are displayed by the system.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by chimak111; Aug 07, 2018, 08:33 AM.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Here's an example of italics used for symbolic links in Dolphin as well as the contents of the desktop folder (in detail view mode):
              Attached Files
              Last edited by chimak111; Aug 07, 2018, 10:15 AM.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                When I enable folder view and drag a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to the desktop I get a little window with a choice to copy here or link here; the latter has the dumbbell icon.

If you choose copy here, you'll get an icon with regular text but with a little exclamation mark that goes away after you mark it a trustworthy and executable.

If you choose link here, you'll get the dumbbell icon and italics text. But that one launches straight away without asking you to confirm anything.

PS: I'm guessing you won't easily be able to change the italics to regular because that's how (soft/symbolic?) links are displayed by the system.
                That did the job! No more little dumbbells, strange how a thing like that can get under your skin!

Many thanks!

EDIT: After using the 'copy/executable' procedure, the icon text is regular.
                Last edited by JoHubb; Aug 08, 2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X