Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot install Firefox

Please bare with the newbie.

I upgraded today Kubuntu to 24.04 and somehow firefox cannot be installed. There used to be one installed that I had removed some time ago. When I run sudo apt-get install firefox​ I get the following error:
    E: Conflicting values set for option Signed-By regarding source https://packages.mozilla.org/apt/ mozilla: /et
    c/apt/trusted.gpg.d/packages.mozilla.org.gpg != /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

​Is there a way to remove all previous left overs (versions, profiles, etc) and install a fresh firefox?

So, you don't have any version of Firefox installed at the moment? Assuming 'yes', open Konsole and type:

cd /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d

then:

sudo rm packages.mozilla.org.gpg

then:

cd && sudo apt update && sudo apt-get install firefox
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      So, you don't have any version of Firefox installed at the moment? Assuming 'yes', open Konsole and type:

cd /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d

then:

sudo rm packages.mozilla.org.gpg

then:

cd && sudo apt update && sudo apt-get install firefox
      Hi and thanks for your reply. I tried the above but I still get the same error messages.

Comment

Okay. In Konsole, type: sudo mv /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc packagages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP

Then try installing firefox again.

Comment

Okay. In Konsole, type: sudo mv /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc packagages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP

Then try installing firefox again.
          Same error

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Okay. Undo the last command from above: sudo mv /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc

Then take a look through this: https://www.baeldung.com/linux/confl...ror-resolution

Comment

Okay. Undo the last command from above: sudo mv /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc

Then take a look through this: https://www.baeldung.com/linux/confl...ror-resolution
              Couldn't undo the command, error: mv: cannot stat '/etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP': No such file or directory

The keyrings folder appears to be empty so I couldn't proceed with the instructions of the link.

Comment

As to undoing the mv command; I had a typo in the command in post #4 -- I misspelled packages as packagages -- and I neglected to include the path, so the moved file is in your user home directory.

Launch Konsole and ensure you are in your home directory. Then type:

sudo mv packagages.mozilla.org.ascBACKUP /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc

Comment

By step 4 on the link nothing new. Then I have this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_11092.png
Views:	0
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	683260
                  And from sudo vi mozilla.list:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_11094.png
Views:	0
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	683261

To be honest I'm a bit lost.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

OK, I finally managed to install firefox. I deleted the mozilla.lists file and then followed the instructions from this site https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/...t-ubuntu-22-04

Comment

Glad you got it figured out.

Comment

Working...
                      X