This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Freezes During Install

Ok, so I've been trying to install kubuntu for the past hour now, and have still had no success. Everytime it comes up and it says install ect, I do that which makes sense than it'll show it's mounting a bunch of stuff and finish up with that fine. Than the screen just goes to a blue bar with the kubuntu text and just sits there for about 40 min doing nothing, cd rom drive won't open so it's pretty much crashed.

system is 3800x2 - gig of ram - 160gig ide drive - asus a8n32-sli - x800xl ati (makes no sense right with sli)

So yeah this is the first time I've tried to install linux so I'm not exactly sure what to do since last time it did the same thing I tried the live cd.

Please help for my linux stupidity.

Re: Kubuntu Freezes During Install

It's normal for the cd not to eject while you're running from live cd. Mainly because you're running the system from the cd you're wanting to eject.

Have you tried redownloading the image and reburning the live cd? <-- *assuming you downloaded the image and burned it to a cd as opposed to ordering a cd*

Also, when you're installing it are you doing a custom install or are you letting the installer do all the partitioning/formatting work for you?

Comment

So here's the update to my problem, I downloaded the alternative cd and it installed fine with no errors. So since it's installed it goes to the grub screen and I choose to go into kubuntu and it says all of that stuff such as mounting ect than goes to that blue loading bar and just sits there again doing nothing. I've read up on what to do, but all I could get from it is something is wrong with some kind of x server and it's not being able to load the graphical part of kubuntu or something? help please since I've been wanting to try linux for awhile now. Btw my card is x800xl pci express 16 if that helps at all.

Comment

bump, I need help in order to use kubuntu... so yeah anyone?

Comment

Hi,

You should try to reconfigure xserver to get your card recognized or at least look for what is wrong with it. For this, go in console mode when it's stucked or a while after by Ctrl + Alt + F1
          Login
          type sudo startx
          And check what is the message you will get.
          Or directly try to reconfigure your xserver :
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
          and reboot.

Hope it will help.

Comment

I had the same issue, what I did was just to completely wipe my hard drive using QTParted, which should be on the live CD, and then I let Kubuntu auto configure it's own format. It's running great now except for freezing. I"m working on that one right now.

-J-

Comment

I had trouble installing kubuntu from both the live and alternate cds.. It would always get to about 86% installed and just freeze. I finally had to install Ubuntu from the live cd and then use synaptic to install Kubuntu-desktop and KDE and it worked like a charm!

Comment

I had a simaler problam, where I wrote 4 cds and each one would either freze in the graphical install or not even make it that far. The only way I ever managed to install it all was using the alternate cd and burning the image on a difrent macheine (i think windows was sabotaging me). Just be sure to check for cd errors because it could simply be the image isnt burning right.

Comment

Working...
                X