Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big hello to the Kubuntu Community

Hello everyone,

as I am getting more and more paranoid with my Windows 11 installation, I was thinking about switching to Linux. I was trying Ubuntu on my laptop and I really like it, but it looks a bit too simple. So I was looking up Kubuntu and I think it can be a bit more shiny with KDE. I also saw that discover is showing the snap and flatpacks in one software. (not as in Gnome where I got 2 software centers)

My main goal is checking e-mails, writing letters, photo editing, (maybe video editing, where I saw that Kdenlive is very good), some basic programming and playing WoW. And that is the point where I have my doubts, how easy it is for a beginner to run this game. I mean, somehow installing Lutris and getting Battle.net and WoW to run is doable, but I read some stuff with direct rendering in the Ubuntu forum and some special graphic drivers. I got an Nvidia RTX4070 Super GFX card, so I don't want to be capped at 60 fps. (I had that problem when I first tried Ubuntu on my PC).

In your opinion, is KDE a good desktop or better is ubuntu a good base for (beginners) gaming? And would it be better to install Kubuntu 24.10 instead of 24.04, because of KDE Plasma 6.1?

Thanks in advance for the tips and tricks.

Marc

Linux has a lot of flexibility. You can do what you want to learn to do. It is robust and very fast. FOr instatnce, you are able to install the KDE desktop on a regular Ubuntu install. I would imagine that just about any problem you encounter on your configuration journey, there is another person that has alreasdy done what you want to do and they may be connected to a forum to get help. That being said...

I believe you will be able to do what you want with Kubuntu, that's why I use it. KDE ao top of a regular install (when I did it a decade ago) was just like Kubuntu. I imagine it to be the same but with snap and flatpacks configured differently. I did not like the fact that Kubuntu did not use synaptic package manager so everytime I do an install, I install the software packages from Ubuntu on my Kubuntu. I use Openshot for video and I sue the latest version by runing a command line execution.

For each item you are concerned with if you break it down and open a 'help the new guy' post. Don't forget to mention your hardware config for bugs, a lot of times you can search the forum for issues you encounter. There is a user that has recomendations at the end of his posts that is helpful...I will look that up for you and try to post here. Welcome aboard and happy times with Kubuntu.

Comment

Check this out I'm postin a picture of one of his posts and the recommendation 'read me' here:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Please Read Me Click image for larger version

Name:	KUBU.png
Views:	29
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	683157 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	27
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	683158​​

Comment

hi spiderman
        thank you very much, I will look into it. I am currently also watching some videos to improve the refresh rate of my monitor.

have a nice evening

Comment

Working...
        X