would kubuntu be good for a NAS server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would kubuntu be good for a NAS server?

hi im duck, I recently switched from ubuntu 24.04 to kubuntu 24.10 and I love kubuntu. though I do have a lot of space, I want to host a NAS server using my old laptop but I do not want to get rid of my old data (because I want to laugh at it and its probably important but I cannot back it up).

suggestion: a plasma desktop type os with kubuntu on it but it works on mobile and can install android packages. yeah im running out of ideas.

You can run any OS as a NAS, i tis a matter of installing and configuring all the services you might need. Mostr NAS systems, or OSs rather, will have a web GUI since they wouldn't normally have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached, as they are not needed. But there is nothing stopping you, of course

But, from experience, taking a desktop system and setting up SAMBA and NFS, and other services on and old desktop OS WILL become a bit limiting, and it is not the age of the hardware at all. It is the major hassle of manually installing and setting up all the little things you might want. If you really want a NAS, there are a number of OS options for that. I use OpenMediaVault once I gave up trying to convert a Kubuntu install into a NAS. There are other options as well.

Originally posted by duck-guy View Post
    I do not want to get rid of my old data (because I want to laugh at it and its probably important but I cannot back it up
    That's not true at all - at the worst, you take the drive out and connect it to a different computer and copy.

Originally posted by duck-guy View Post
    a plasma desktop type os with kubuntu on it but it works on mobile and can install android packages.
    Plasma Mobile exists, plus there is Waydroid. But what that has to do with a NAS, I can't say

Comment

Working...
    X