Panel AND Wallpaper Config. Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Panel AND Wallpaper Config. Issues

I am still testing KDE (Kubuntu) on my laptop before I do an install on my 2 TB main system. I know it is customary, one post per issue but I have two small (I hope) configuration items, so I hope that’s OK.

Re: wallpapers, whether I select a photo tiled with a chosen background via right click on the Desktop or via Quick Settings, and clicking “Apply,” the choice does not stick after rebooting—well, it sometimes does and sometimes does not. If I have to set my wallpaper every time I boot, that could be a deal breaker for KDE. Now I notice that when my wallpaper has disappeared, that the photo I selected no longer appears in Desktop Folder Settings. It appears when I set it, then it disappears.

Please advise.

Regarding panels, it seems that KDE only allows two panels (that are actually functional). I have a top and a bottom panel. With spacers, I have various locations, but I always have apps/widgets at the ends of the panels. But when I add panels 3 and 4, these panels cover my apps and I have no access. In the now deprecated Gnome desktop, which can still be found in Ubuntu MATE, a new panel stops at and does not cover the adjoining panel. Further, one can add arrows to close a panel (which is different from autohide).

Any ideas here?

I’m working through my list on stuff I can’t get to work and, so far so good. (For those who haven't seen my posts, I use large fonts because I am low vision).

Originally posted by linuxusr View Post
    I am still testing KDE (Kubuntu) on my laptop before I do an install on my 2 TB main system. I know it is customary, one post per issue but I have two small (I hope) configuration items, so I hope that’s OK.

Re: wallpapers, whether I select a photo tiled with a chosen background via right click on the Desktop or via Quick Settings, and clicking “Apply,” the choice does not stick after rebooting—well, it sometimes does and sometimes does not. If I have to set my wallpaper every time I boot, that could be a deal breaker for KDE. Now I notice that when my wallpaper has disappeared, that the photo I selected no longer appears in Desktop Folder Settings. It appears when I set it, then it disappears.

Please advise.

Regarding panels, it seems that KDE only allows two panels (that are actually functional). I have a top and a bottom panel. With spacers, I have various locations, but I always have apps/widgets at the ends of the panels. But when I add panels 3 and 4, these panels cover my apps and I have no access. In the now deprecated Gnome desktop, which can still be found in Ubuntu MATE, a new panel stops at and does not cover the adjoining panel. Further, one can add arrows to close a panel (which is different from autohide).

Any ideas here?

I’m working through my list on stuff I can’t get to work and, so far so good. (For those who haven't seen my posts, I use large fonts because I am low vision).

I solved both of the above problems from playing around, so this post can be marked “resolved.”

Re: the wallpaper image not sticking after reboot, it turns out that the picture I was using I had placed on the Desktop. After enabling the settings for my image centered with my selected background, well, now I had the image twice, my wallpaper and the image is an object on my Desktop, so I cut/copied the picture. Since the source was now missing, my wallpaper disappeared upon reboot! Now I moved this image to Dolphin < Pictures so everything is good on reboot! Who would have thought!

Deprecated Gnome on Ubuntu MATE does a much better job with panels than KDE. That being said, I found a solution that fits KDE. The key is toggling OFF “Set flexible size” and adding several small spacers, now blocks rather than a long rectangle. While in edit mode, I can move these blocks around, put my apps/widgets exactly where I want them and MOVE THEM AWAY from the panel’s edges so that when a panel 2 covers panel 1, panel 2 does not cover apps as they have been moved. It’s an annoying way to manipulate app locations but it works.

Comment

As far as your panels go, when you first put them onto your desktop in edit mode, there are some arrows at each end of the panel that you can play with to reduce the length of the panel or move it up and down preventing it from covering up your top and bottom panels.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxusr View Post
        (For those who haven't seen my posts, I use large fonts because I am low vision).
        BTW, does ctrl-+ not work for you? That way you can increase the font of most text, and the browser (firefox at least) remembers the font size for each web site.

You could also set a minimum font size in the browser settings, but that confuses some sites.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Just to add to what he said, another way to increase font size is by holding down ctrl while rotating your mouse wheel forward or backwards

Comment

Working...
          X