Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my wine be saved if I upgrade to 18.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will my wine be saved if I upgrade to 18.04?

Not sure how new I am, but only about 10 months running linux. I do however fully use wine from winhq, as I've come from 20 years of using ms oses, and I need to bring a lot of familiar apps with me...
    I was using Kubuntu 17.10 and had got up to staging 3.12 and was working with a lot of windows apps. Now I have to "upgrade" to 18.04 and wine devel 3.6, which is a big step backwards on a new install.
    Just brought up a 17.10 install I had in a VM, and it offered to upgrade to 18.04, will this save my winehq 3.12 install or effect that in any way?

Your files and configs will be kept, but the wine version might be upgraded, but that depends on where you got wine from. If you added an external repo, this will be disabled during the upgrade, so you will have to re-enable it afterward. As you are using wine staging, which is not in the standard repos, most likely wine won't be upgraded at all for you as the versions are newer than what Ubuntu has. At the worst, you would upgrade wine back to where you were when you re-enable the winehq repos.

But your existing files in your /home will not be touched

Comment

Thanks, found that out. But now winehq has added repo for bionic, so everything is back to normal. Only other beef was removal of gksu and kdesudo and commands like macchanger-gtk. Resolved by manually installing macchanger-gtk and creating a policy file for it,
      and simply using pkexec. Also works for gedit and many other graphical apps that are usually run in root mode. Happy with Kubuntu again... but really want 18.10 to drop...

Comment

For editing files in Kate/Kwrite, simply open them, edit as needed, then save. If needed, you will be prompted for the password.
        Not to belabor the gui-as-root badness, but...... you know...it's baad

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Not to belabor the gui-as-root badness, but...... you know...it's baad
          And 'how bad' can it be you ask? Well, it can be bad.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I only run macchanger-gtk and gedit with pkexec really. I normally stick to the gui as root rules, and do things from the command line instead. I did start from a command line in dos, long before linux came along...
            Just after 20 years you start to get used to guis... and I had to run win for a decade or so before finally finding linux. Just so you know, win10 pushed me here... 20 years of ms products use and they pushed that on me.
            10 months ago I went linux immersion, forced myself to use only linux and learn it. Now I love it, and will continue to power learn it for as long as it takes...

Comment

Glad you've joined the club of folks who were abused by M$ and moved to Linux. We're getting to be a BIG group!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm trying to bring more MS users over. Win10 is a plague. We need to improve the usability of wine a bit more, one of my pet projects now. I have more MS apps on my desktop than linux ones... of course I also have a term box open at all times.
                As an old dos user, I love the command line still, but it's going to take work to move a lot of newer windows users over...

Comment

Some times I find that Playonlinux is a big help. and allows using multiple wine versions easily I have a couple program I use everyday that have no real Linux equivalent yet. and one runs well on older wine version and one on newer so POL works well for me.. If it's games then that is another story.
                  Welcome aboard Kubuntu
                  Last edited by kc1di; Aug 05, 2018, 03:35 AM.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I install one Windows application, IQAN, which is a PLC dev tool. I use WINE to install it and it runs great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IQUAN_dev_tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	643951

Ned Meier is an Ag Engineer and behind him is the tractor he invented, built and patented. The software shown above, which I wrote according to his specifications, controls that tractor. Each wheel is controlled by choices of front wheel steering, circle steering or crab steering, using either a wheel or a joystick. Hydraulics controls the pistons moving the wheels and the orbital motors which control sprayers and implements. The IQAN software controls the hydraulics. The farmer controls the software. With appropriate guidance systems attached the tractor can retrace a previous pass to under an inch. The implements are hung beneath the H-frame and between the wheels, preventing any lateral movement that might be caused by inclination or resistance from chunks of soil or heavy vegetation.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ned and his tractor.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	643952
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 05, 2018, 05:31 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X