Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[First time with Kubuntu] How can I get rid of KDE Wallet Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] [First time with Kubuntu] How can I get rid of KDE Wallet Service?

Mostly the title - I want to get rid of KDE wallet service, it's just in the way and generally annoying. It's not installed through APT or Discover. Snap, maybe? I jsut want it gone, especially because I hear it has to do with Wi-Fi unreliability issues. Anything helps!

First, Welcome to KFN!

Second, you don't need to get rid of it. Click your mouse on an empty area of the Desktop and just start typing: kde wallet
    The first match will be System Settings KDE Wallet

Press Enter.

Under Wallet Preferences uncheck Enable the KDE wallet subsystem

Click the Apply button.

Done.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I do that, it the only thing that's there is 'Get KWalletManager', so it's saying it's not there. I'm going to install it to go disable it

Comment

didn't work, I still get the popup every time I power on and wake from sleep. Not sure what to do.

Comment

If I recall I created a new Wallet but left the password blank. I get no pop-ups!
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis View Post
            When I do that, it the only thing that's there is 'Get KWalletManager', so it's saying it's not there. I'm going to install it to go disable it
            So, you had uninstalled it? What else have you removed or modified here?

The service is much like Gnome's keyring. It stores your passwords and such for things like WiFi, etc. It normally is tied to your login password, but it will NOT work with autologin. This *might* have an effect on resuming from suspend, but reports are older and few. It has been known to lose that connection if one isn't using autologin, but I am not sure of what fixes it other than making sure it has the same password as the login.

The workaround, which is often shown in a message when enabling autologin, and maybe other situations, is to set the wallet to a blank password

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20241008_194925.png Views:	0 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	682913 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20241008_194945-1.png Views:	0 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	682914

At the very least, for me, having some various wifi/ssh/ and other passwords all kept in one place make it worthwhile, since otherwise these are all over the place, or not remembered at all.
            Last edited by claydoh; Oct 08, 2024, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I never uninstalled it, it seems it was never there. Though, after a restart, it seems to be leaving me alone.

Comment

Working...
              X