Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] warp.dev Kubuntu deal-breaker: first post; first introduction

Hello All,

Please accept my apologies for the large font but I am low vision.

This is my first post and my first and only introduction:

I am 71 years old and retired in the Dom. Rep. I assemble all my pc’s and I have been running Linux as my primary OS since Ubuntu Dapper Drake, 6.04, and RHEL before that. I consider myself an advanced beginner in that as re: CLI (BASH), I do not write scripts; I know a few discrete commands but mostly copy/paste.

I distro hop on a VM always looking for that grass greener on the other side. In spite of 100+ distro hops over 15 years or so, I have stuck with Ubuntu Gnome/Unity/Gnome. Until now. There is a good chance that Kubuntu Plasma will be my primary distro and OS.

The reason is that the breadth of precise config. options is probably two orders of magnitude greater than Ubuntu. I give one example: I am low vision. For digital clock and calendar, I can increase the panel width such that I can tell the time! Or another: I am now running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. With the pro option turned on, I’m good until about 2035. Fine. But I want to upgrade to 24.04 LTS. But Dropbox is broken. The taskbar icon is unclickable. But in the latest Kubuntu it works great—even better, with a transparent icon to show status.

However, Kubuntu has a problem. The same “power” that enables massive config. options, entails a brief learning curve where lots of everyday stuff does NOT work out of the box. An example is the virtual pager. However, this post is not about that. I’ll come back to that later.

Meanwhile, I’m running Kubuntu in a VM (Boxes). I have a long list of stuff, a check-off list, of stuff I must be able to implement, if I am to do a permanent install. Some of these items, if they do not succeed, will be deal-breakers for this distro. I think what I’m going to do, is to install Kubuntu on the ssd of my travel laptop (now running Ubuntu 22.04 MATE) and if and when I can get everything functioning on my travel laptop, then I’ll do an install on my primary machine. This will be better than trying to run stuff on a VM. END OF INTRODUCTION.

First Post

Here is a deal-breaker for Kubuntu. If you are not familiar with it let me introduce you to Warp (warp.dev) an AI Mac terminal that accepts natural language inputs that has now been ported to Linux from Mac. It is free albeit “freemium” model. The devs are very keen and enthusiastic about this project. This program has radically changed my interaction with CLI for the first time in 20 years. I can query any use case and it will give me code with option to execute. I recently had trouble installing the alpha version of Kokua SL viewer. It output exact steps and the install was perfect.

Needless to say, warp.dev is a game changer and any distro or OS that will not run it, I will not use.

Warp on Kubuntu:

1. Go to warp.dev
    2. Download the .deb file
    3. Use GUI Ark to unzip
    4. terminal: warp

You will find “unmet dependencies.” I used this flag:
    warp -f and 1000+ Rust files were installed. But when executing [warp], the program hangs.

Solutions? Opinions? Ideas?

I highly recommend evaluating Warp in a Kubuntu VM.

Originally posted by linuxusr View Post
    Warp on Kubuntu:

1. Go to warp.dev
    2. Download the .deb file
    3. Use GUI Ark to unzip
    4. terminal: warp
    Unfortunately this is not the correct way to use Deb files.

Just follow warp's instructions for Ubuntu/Debian:
    https://docs.warp.dev/getting-starte...rted-with-warp

Basically there are multiple options:
    1. From Konsole: sudo apt install /full/path/to/the/name-of.deb
    2. Or browse to the directory with the .Deb file, tap the F4 key, and enter sudo apt install name-of.deb
    3. OR right click the Deb and choose "Open With Plasma Discover" to use a GUI app to install things for you
    #3 is easiest, but less informative.

#1 and #2 will have a **lot** of text output showing what it's going on.

This particularly Deb file adds Warp's software repo as a source so that it not only installs Warp, but you will also receive updates to it along with normal system updates.

Comment

Working...
    X