Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Newbie Install Kubuntu

Hi there!
    For a while now I have wanted to start using Linux, but just didn't have the courage to do so. I have read a little about the different distros and decided that Kubuntu is the one that I want.
    I recently received an old computer that I can use for my Linux experiments. The problem is – I have no idea how to install Kubuntu.
    The computer specs:
    Asus UX4630U:
    • intel core i5-82250U
    • 8GB RAM
    • x64-bit
    • 240 GB SSD
    • No CD Drive
    • Running Windows 11 23H2
    The Kubuntu version I want:
    I want to install Kubuntu alongside with Windows 11 if possible.
    After reading about it online I saw some things I didn't understand:
    1. Is it mandatory to disable secure boot?
    2. If I have a USB storage with other stuff on it, will it be a problem for the installation?
    3. Do I have to change the partitions for this download? I have no idea how to do this.
    4. Is there a way to install Kubuntu directly from Windows without the need for external devices?
    I would really appreciate your help!

1: No. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot

2: Yes, In order to use a USB drive to install from the ISO you must burn the ISO onto the USB drive, which wipes out everything on it. As a functional alternate, create a Ventoy bootable USB on your USB drive. It will then be both bootable AND usable for file transfer or storage. Ventoy uses the ExFAT file system which is readable both by Linux and Windows.

Ventoy makes your USB drive bootable and then you can just copy the Kubuntu ISO onto the Ventou USB drive and boot it. The neat thing about this is if you want to install a different ISO later you can just add it to the Ventoy USB drive and boot it without reformatting the USB drive. Also, the Ventoy USB becomes a good tool to use if you run into problems with your Linux install. You can boot to the Ventoy USB and access your Linux install from a live session. https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

3: Yes, you will need to have a separate partition for Linux unless you are wiping Windows. There are literally hundred's of web pages outlining how to do this. Short version is you have to shrink the Windows partition to create enough free space for the Linux install. 30GB is a good minimum size but 100 or more would be better if you plan on installing lots of programs.

4: No, not really. If you have GRUB (the Linux boot-loader) installed and booting your computer, GRUB can boot most ISOs directly without a USB device, but you would have to install Linux to get GRUB on the system.

You said you received this old computer to play with Linux. Why do you need Windows on it at all?
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 09, 2024, 08:31 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the elaborated answer! I'll consider it all!
      By the way, do you think the computer specs are enough to use Kubuntu or should I search for a lighter OS? I couldn't find—and I searched—the requirements for current Kubuntu version.

As for your last question, this computer was actually given to me for university porpuses, but I also got permission to do whatever I want on it. I chose Kubuntu. Now I need to decide whether I'm going to need Windows at the university or not.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Those specs are more than sufficient to run any distro. Not even close to even being truly old, really

Comment

The most important thing, the RAM. You have 8 GB so it will run pretty smoothly, even if you have Firefox open with 5 or so tabs and a few other apps open. I don't recommend 4 GB.

The CPU, probably you can go back to i5 6th generation. I think Firefox and Chrome both have a requirement for SSE2 now. I don't know at which point that instruction set appeared.
          What you have is fine.

I don't know what your GPU is. I guess it would be the integrated GPU and when it comes to graphics, it can be iffy in the Linux world. I have seen cases with Intel where there is flashing, some text that does not render.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            1: No. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot

3: Yes, you will need to have a separate partition for Linux unless you are wiping Windows. There are literally hundred's of web pages outlining how to do this. Short version is you have to shrink the Windows partition to create enough free space for the Linux install. 30MB is a good minimum size but 100 or more would be better if you plan on installing lots of programs.
            Im sure he means GB not MB

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post

Im sure he means GB not MB
              LOL, thanks for catching that. Fixed!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X