Firefox eating up a lot of CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Virginio Miranda View Post

Sorry to make this question, but are you sure you check on about:config if hardware accelleration is enable?
    What (are)s the name(s) of the relevant parameter(s)? I just searched for "acceleration" and "hardware" and "video" but didn't see anything that matched hardware acceleration... unless I just missed it.

I also checked "about:support" and there is a lot of information! Should I be looking for any parameters there?

Thanks....
    Last edited by rhimbo; Aug 28, 2024, 05:16 PM.

Comment

There re crap tons of articles and content about the topic of hardware acceleration on Firefox.
      Most or all the things should be enabled by defualt in current browser versions, but you can still check that things are enabled and working

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...n%20working%3A
      Most of the content is not necessary, but a useful reference.

And often useful, and (too) comprehensive:
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fir...o_acceleration

Comment

Originally posted by rhimbo View Post

What (are)s the name(s) of the relevant parameter(s)? I just searched for "acceleration" and "hardware" and "video" but didn't see anything that matched hardware acceleration... unless I just missed it.

I also checked "about:support" and there is a lot of information! Should I be looking for any parameters there?

Thanks....
        Follow the claydoh advise above .

For example: in my firefox about:config settings media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled was set to false , so i changed it to true . There are others parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by Virginio Miranda View Post

Follow the claydoh advise above .

For example: in my firefox about:config settings media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled was set to false , so i changed it to true . There are others parameters.
          Thank you, Virginio Miranda. My challenge is finding documentation on what all of these parameters mean semantically and how they affect behavior. I've been doing a lot of internet searching to find the details so that I know what to look for and to understand what I see when examining all the parameters.

I also noticed that each time I restart firefox, I need to go to System Settings -> Audio and change the settings under "Playback Devices". So I'm highly suspicious that I have some problems with the packages and libraries that I installed when trying to get my Sennheiser headphones to work on this system.

Thus, I am going to do a complete re-install of kubuntu. The problem is that it is difficult to know which package is causing the problem, or which combination of audio-related packages are the problem, or which also affect video playback.

Comment

Working...
          X