X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Fonts

Hi, newbie here.

I'm trying to migrate from Windows 10 to Linux, and so far Kubuntu is the most appealing distro. Among other things, I'm going to use my OS for writing in LibreOffice and I am required to present final articles written with Times New Roman font. Here's the problem - I can't get Microsoft Fonts onto Kubuntu. On Ubuntu Mate and Xubuntu I tried to install those fonts through terminal by typing sudo apt install msttcorefonts and succeeded. But can't install them through the same method on Kubuntu. I get this message: Unable to locate package msttcorefonts

Is there any other way to get the fonts installed on Kubuntu?

Originally posted by forreg View Post
    Hi, newbie here.

I'm trying to migrate from Windows 10 to Linux, and so far Kubuntu is the most appealing distro. Among other things, I'm going to use my OS for writing in LibreOffice and I am required to present final articles written with Times New Roman font. Here's the problem - I can't get Microsoft Fonts onto Kubuntu. On Ubuntu Mate and Xubuntu I tried to install those fonts through terminal by typing sudo apt install msttcorefonts and succeeded. But can't install them through the same method on Kubuntu. I get this message: Unable to locate package msttcorefonts

Is there any other way to get the fonts installed on Kubuntu?
    It should be there but as "ttf-mscorefonts-installer"
    Search for it using Muon or Discover. Muon should be easier and quicker.
    sudo apt install muon

EDIT: I decided to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer myself and see how the ttf's looked. They weren't there!
    I browsed around and found that installing them is more than just running "sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-install" from the Konsole prompt.

The entire process is here:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9789...7-04-libre-off

EDIT:EDIT:
    The process above didn't work for me using "$TMP", so I created a subdirectory under my home account titled "tmp" and then followed the steps using it.

Times New Roman was among the fonts. It and many other ttf corefonts were among the font listings.

TrueType 1 fonts have been dropped by most applications, including word processors, so I don't know how long this font set will be available. May be time to think about converting to more modern fonts.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 26, 2018, 01:16 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      It should be there but as "ttf-mscorefonts-installer"
      Search for it using Muon or Discover. Muon should be easier and quicker.
      sudo apt install muon

EDIT: I decided to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer myself and see how the ttf's looked. They weren't there!
      I browsed around and found that installing them is more than just running "sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-install" from the Konsole prompt.

The entire process is here:
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/9789...7-04-libre-off

EDIT:EDIT:
      The process above didn't work for me using "$TMP", so I created a subdirectory under my home account titled "tmp" and then followed the steps using it.

Times New Roman was among the fonts. It and many other ttf corefonts were among the font listings.

TrueType 1 fonts have been dropped by most applications, including word processors, so I don't know how long this font set will be available. May be time to think about converting to more modern fonts.
      Hey GreyGeek, thanks for the response and taking your time to help me. I tried muon and couldn't either find the fonts there. I'll now try the second method you described, though I thought the process will be much easier as in other Ubuntu distros.

Comment

One of the things I always add after a new install is the kubuntu-restricted-extras package. You can search for it in Muon with "kubuntu restricted". Microsoft true-type fonts, including Times New Roman are included in the packages and during the install, you'll be required to approve of adding the font package with a yes or no answer.

I used the Font Manager accessed in System Settings to verify the fonts (the ones I'm more familiary with anyhow).
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by forreg View Post
          Hey GreyGeek, thanks for the response and taking your time to help me. I tried muon and couldn't either find the fonts there. I'll now try the second method you described, though I thought the process will be much easier as in other Ubuntu distros.
          Interesting. I tried Muon and ttf-mscorefonts-installer was there and installed the fonts with no hiccups.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            Interesting. I tried Muon and ttf-mscorefonts-installer was there and installed the fonts with no hiccups.
            I used Muon on ttf-mscorefonts-installer too. Afterwards, System Settings --> Fonts didn't list them and LibreWriter didn't either. After doing the second step they were present in both places. (Caveat: I am running Neon)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 (love it so far). I used Muon to install the Kubuntu restricted extras--there were two on the search list, one was installed the other not. I installed the second one and the mscorefonts installer worked without a hitch. I checked
              System Settings and Libre Office Writer and the fonts appear on both. Frankly, there are so many fonts available now I don't know if I will ever use the ms ones again, and it surprises me that people are required to use a certain font for all publications, like forreg has to do. Still, Linux is about choice, and the msfonts are available on Kubuntu if he needs them.

Comment

That must be the difference. When I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer I had not installed the second set of restricted stuff. Didn't even know about it, only about the first one. That's probably why the installer didn't work, but manually installing them did. I've installed the second set of restricted apps but the font wasn't a problem any more.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I used Muon on ttf-mscorefonts-installer too. Afterwards, System Settings --> Fonts didn't list them and LibreWriter didn't either. After doing the second step they were present in both places. (Caveat: I am running Neon)
                  I did this on the Kubuntu Acer, I haven't fired up the Asus Neon today, but I will try it out next time I do.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I was trying to install the fonts on Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE in live USB mode and was successful in both cases. But I couldn't do the same thing on Kubuntu. Sorry for not mentioning that. I was just testing the three distros to see which one I want to continue with. Anyway, I installed Kubuntu this morning and updated it. I was able to install the fonts through the terminal and can now use Times New Roman.

Some publications in my country just require this font, so I have to go with it.

So far I love Kubuntu very much.

But I still can't find the fonts or the restricted extras in Muon.

Comment

Type ?kubuntu-restricted' in the Muon search bar--you'll get two packages. One is 'kubuntu-restricted-addons', which is probably installed (it was on my clean install). The other is 'kubuntu-restricted-extras', which contains things like codecs for mp3 and the ttf-mscorefonts-installer. You have to install that one. As it's installing, a little box appears which requires a 'yes' answer to continue installing the fonts package. That's all. If you type 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer' in the search bar it should appear. Perhaps you forgot the ttf part.

Comment

I use fedora, so I don't know if there's a package, or if you should manually install these https://pagure.io/liberation-fonts/

Liberation is the collective name of four TrueType font families: Liberation Sans, Liberation Sans Narrow, Liberation Serif and Liberation Mono. These fonts are metrically compatible with the most commonly used fonts on Microsoft Windows operating system and Office suite (Monotype Corporation's Arial, Arial Narrow, Times New Roman and Courier New, respectively), for which Liberation is intended as a free substitute.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

'ttf-mscorefonts-installer' is recommended when installing 'kubuntu-restricted-extras'. I don't know if it is automatically selected when the restricted-extras is installed, or not, so it is a good idea to check and make sure you have ttf-mscorefonts-installer selected for installation. It does include your "Liberation" fonts. Going outside the repository is usually not recommended until you become a seasoned Kubuntu/Linux user and know how to avoid malware.

Comment

Working...
                          X