Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine boots to WinXX but I get this error on all versions of Kubuntu 22.04, 10 / 23.04 10 / 24.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Machine boots to WinXX but I get this error on all versions of Kubuntu 22.04, 10 / 23.04 10 / 24.04

Haven't tried any other Linux versions. Machine is ASUS ROG STRIX GL753VD-DS71 - Mfg has not responded to my requests for support due to "Linux" o/s. Boots into windowz ok, but I get a multiple Machine Owners Key errors and then the machine just powers off...no time to troubleshoot. What led up to this is that I did not want to burn the batteries inside the machine when I had to go in for total knee replacement and ended up with a tripple bipass before the TKA. Long recovery time. I surmise that since then I disassembled the box and found that they do not have a back up battery for the updated bios info, I must have lost the bios and am running on the original bios that shipped from about 2016 or so. Take a look at the image... https://drive.google.com/file/d/11kt...usp=drive_link Current bios image;
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJDkC_-b5OBgPZmQx3xidWDpeOnVdRMI/view?usp=drive_link​
    Last edited by Stefanso; Aug 19, 2024, 02:21 PM.

We can't see the images... the links don't work as you haven't shared them with public access, and in any case, you will need at least 3 posts before being able to post links or images anyway. I have bypassed that for this post, though.

I doubt you are running on an old bios, as that is not stored in volatile memory. The settings are, and a dead battery will cause it to default to stock options. Though I well could be wrong. I know some devices may use the laptop battery as the CMOS battery.

MOK stuff is Secure Boot. There probably are steps to take that can remedy this, but the best move it to disable it. It isn't needed by Windows, or Linux.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I've been writing zero's to a big stack of hard drives. OK, so I have made the images available to anyone with the link. I don't have access to upload images. I will get an updated version of the ASUS bios because I am fairly sure that I have secure boot turned off. I will upload to google a pix of that. TYVM

Comment

Originally posted by Stefanso View Post
        I don't have access to upload images
        You might be able to, now that you have enough posts.

Comment

Here are the photos. I'm writing zeros to my last drive. Will verify that secure boot is off on the reboot.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Your firmware (aka BIOS) storage is full. You probably have tons of old OS entries or something filling up your NVRAM.

Comment

Interesting topic.
              Rod Smith's comment below that post is good to read, too.
              Another interesting item in that discussion is about the dbx.
              Good link, claydoh.

This post:
              https://askubuntu.com/questions/1401...t-start-at-all
              Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 17, 2024, 08:47 PM.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Stefanso View Post
                I'm writing zeros to my last drive
                Do note that this won't touch your UEFI firmware (bios) settings storage.

Comment

Lots of great information. Microsoft SUCKS and I hope they don't have access to the Apple architecture because I started moving all my stuff over to MACs. (I'm trying to fix this ASUS to use for video editing because it is more powerful to use for that.) I'm going to start with the BCDEDIT tool. I'll keep you posted and TYVM for the help!

Comment

Booting into Windows gives me the willies. Didn't work. Evidently this machine in Admin mode does not have administrator's rights. Back to the drawing board. Is the NVRAM on the main board or a file on the hard drive

Comment

Your UEFI (BIOS) firmware settings are on the motherboard, not a file on the hard drive.
                      NVRAM (Non-volatile RAM) is on the motherboard, not a file on the hard drive.
                      Now, of course, /boot/efi is on the hard drive, right?, as a file (a folder). And ... /boot/efi/EFI is a file on the hard drive, and so such files would be zeroed out if hit by a dd pass, for example.
                      dd would not touch your NVRAM or your UEFI/BIOS settings in firmware (on the mother board).
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wow, I didn't know you could run dd on a file. I'll have to write the syntax for you to see if I got it right. In the mean time. I went into secure boot and turned it on, then did a reset all secure data to default and then turned it off. Boots to buntu LTS. Got to remove all Wxndxws hard drives and remember that if I have to put a Wxndxws drive in any machine again I will have to remember this experience. You guys ROCK!!!:-)

Comment

Everything I know/knew about dd is here, in my how-to:
                          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...the-dd-command

At the time, I do recall cleaning files before deleting them, and other cool tasks, with dd, and did test that when writing the how-to.
                          It's in the Table of Contents on that page I linked.

Comment

Working...
                          X