Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save drivers from Windows to Kubuntu

Hello everyone.
    Before switching to Ubuntu, I would like to know how to check that the drivers on the computer (currently running Windows 10) are compatible with Ubuntu? Is there a software who can do that?
    I have a fingerprint reader on my PC and would like to know if it is compatible with Ubuntu.

I'm using a Huawei Matebook D15 (this one with the Intel i5 processor) and
    the version I have tried of Kubuntu in the VM is "Kubuntu-24.04".

(By the way, can you tell me how can I change my pfp on this forum please?)
    Thank you so much for your help!

-User09

___
    Some are born great, others achieve greatness. -Shakespeare

pfp - upper right corner click your profile name - select profile - then edit avatar.
    If you are dual booting Kubuntu and Win 10 they will have their own separate driver packages. If you are getting rid of Win 10 and installing Kubuntu... Linux is real good with open source drivers, and if the hardware producer provides Linux driver support, they will have a proprietary driver you can use (which most do) Yes Ubuntu does have finger print reader drivers. I would advise you to wait for more seasoned veterans of this forum to opine on this subject. (as some much older model readers may not work)

Comment

Editing ones Profile isn't permitted until you have established yourself here. That doesn't take very long, and you'll know when that is because you will be allowed to do so. Oh, Welcome to KFN!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by User09 View Post
        Hello everyone.
        Before switching to Ubuntu, I would like to know how to check that the drivers on the computer (currently running Windows 10) are compatible with Ubuntu? Is there a software who can do that?
        I have a fingerprint reader on my PC and would like to know if it is compatible with Ubuntu.
        AFAIK zero windows drivers are "compatible" with Linux. There may be Linux versions, but maybe not. Much of that is in the kernel and loaded automatically.

Two ways to determine if you fingerprint reader is compatible:
        1. Search the internet for your model of fingerprint reader on Linux.
        2. Boot to a LiveUSB and see if it works.
        Searching the internet helps too: https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comm...compatibility/

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello everyone, thank you for your resply
          TinyTim I'm not very familiar with Dualboot system, this is why is said than I used Oracle VM to try Kubuntu.
          I find a lot of documentation about this, this is not the problem, but as I'm not sure I want to switch to Kubuntu specifically, I prefer not to touch my machine's partions 😅
          And yes sorry, I said Ubuntu but I was talking about Kubuntu.
          Talking about documentation, I found this, but it's for Ubuntu, not the KDE version and the settings for Kubuntu are not the same : https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...rprint.html.en

Snowhog Thank you, I will wait patiently if I need

oshunluvr
          Much of that is in the kernel and loaded automatically.
          2. I will try a LiveUSB on my PC, but I don't really see the difference with Dualboot .
          If I understand the documentation correctly, LiveUSB is a version non-installed of an Operating System, and DualBoot is when you have two differents OS installed on the same device.

To made a LiveUSB I download the file of the OS and Rufus, I use an empty USB key and I "boot" my PC from this USB key.
          But I don't understand how to have 2 different OS on my laptop . I will search again and I'll keep you informed to my progression.

Comment

Originally posted by User09 View Post
            But I don't understand how to have 2 different OS on my laptop . I will search again and I'll keep you informed to my progression.
            1. Install OS #1, or have an existing OS on your computer.​
            2. create Linux installer USB -often these are also Live USB for testing before performing an install
            3. run the installer
            4. the installer will detect the existing OS, and in Kubuntu and many others, the Automatic Install option will shrink space for the new OS and set things up for you
            5. reboot when finished
            6. Possibly not necessary - You might need to go in to your bios settings and change the computer's boot order and set Kubuntu as the first option
            7. you will see a menu (grub) where you can choose Kubuntu or Windows
            8. Enjoy your dual-boot system
            Most videos and tutorials for dual booting will be very similar, though the installer too will look different. Kubuntu recently changed to a new installer, so older videos will look quite different in terms of the UI. However, the steps to take are the same. So you can use a guide for 22.04 and it will be extremely similar.

Practice in a VM - use a larger disk size, if you can. You can even use Kubuntu or another Linux Distro for the first OS, it doesn't have to be Windows.

Comment

Working...
            X