Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Kubuntu doesn't have an option in the installer to make a btrfs-luks full disk encryption installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Why Kubuntu doesn't have an option in the installer to make a btrfs-luks full disk encryption installation?

Reading through some sources (1 and 2) it seems that we are not able to install Kubuntu with btrfs file system and luks encryption out of the box as an option from the installer. We have to go through some "manual" steps to setup it this way.

Does anyone knows why this is the case? I think it has the ZFS-luks option and I thought the complexity to add it would be similar so I was asking myself if there is some complication that Canonical decided to avoid.

Am I missing some documentation that explain this? I'm sorry if this is the case. Very pleased to to have a look to some documentation and won't take it personal if pointed to a learning spot.

1. The previous Kubuntu installer was never given the same options as Ubuntu's even though much of the code base was identical. Ubiquity is really very very ancient.
    2. Ubuntu doesn't provide its new installer for Qt based ISOs, if not all of them not Ubuntu Desktop
    3. Kubuntu now uses Calamares since they are not installer developers
    4. This might provide the possibility in the future, if the Kubuntu devs decide to support this advanced and added feature. or other distros have done this and hammered out the bugs.
    5. Kubuntu, like Ubuntu and its other siblings by design strive to have a simple, general use installation process, not a feature filled and complex one (aka buggy af). This has been one of its selling points.
    6. Is it *really* that hard?
    7. What is wrong with the existing encryption option provided? It is the same scheme Fedora is using, though it is not full-disk
    8. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240702_205855-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	681010
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 02, 2024, 09:51 PM. Reason: reedititng the edit that I thought I had edited, but didn't actually edit.

Comment

Apologizes, I think I missed or overlooked the screen selections options that you posted, not sure. Thank you for clarifying that btrfs-luks is already available in the Kubuntu installer.

Comment

Working...
      X