Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I installed Kubuntu on my old MacBook Air with dual boot, but the internet doesn't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] I installed Kubuntu on my old MacBook Air with dual boot, but the internet doesn't work.

I have a Macbook Air Early 2014 (MacOS version is Big sur).
    I also downloaded Kubuntu with dual boot.
    However, because there is no driver, it is not possible to connect to the Internet. How can I connect? thank you.
    (I have a TP-Link Archer T2U nano, so connecting via that is also fine.)​

Welcome to KFN.

Wi-fi should 'just work' on an Apple computer. Apple doesn't use a proprietary wi-fi chip.

Reboot from the LiveUSB you created (assuming that's what you used) and select the Try Kubuntu. Wireless should work fine, and that's just to confirm my assertion. If it does (it should), then we just have to look at Network Managers network connection for the wi-fi signal you are trying to connect to on the installed Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Apple doesn't use a proprietary wi-fi chip.
      Not so sure about that - Broadcom wifi 4360?

I'd look at the Driver Manager and see if it offers the needed driver.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...015_model_and/
      which is based on the much more thorough and long post on general broadcom wifi (and appears actively maintained and updated)
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/5586...reless-drivers

Comment

Thank you for your welcome.
        I checked the chips with lspci and lsusb and it appears that the Wi-Fi dongle is RTL8812au and the built-in card is Broadcom Wi-Fi 4360.
        I was able to find the driver on GitHub.
        However, I cannot compile it because I do not have build-essential or DKMS.
        What should I do? Thank you in advance.
        I forgot to mention that I am a Japanese speaker and am posting this using Google Translate and my own limited knowledge, so I apologize if there are any mistakes in English.​

Comment

Originally posted by mellllonsoda View Post
          However, I cannot compile it because I do not have build-essential or DKMS.​
          They are on the installation ISO. Either with the ISO as a package source, or by finding the packages in the pool directory.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I looked it up on the internet and found it.
            But I don't know how to do that specifically on Kubuntu. Thank you.​

Comment

Working...
            X