Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 4800H CPU on Laptop - massive temerature fluctuations, fans ramping up then down - Fine on Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD 4800H CPU on Laptop - massive temerature fluctuations, fans ramping up then down - Fine on Windows

Hey all,
    Not sure what's going on here but i have an HP Omen 2020 Laptop with an Nvidia 2060 Mobile GPU and the CPU temperatures are all over the place when using Linux, and i say Linux as i had the same thing on Mint before i shifted over to Kunbutu to try a different distro. What i can say is that this does not happen on Windows.

Looking at psensor, the CPU will "idle" around 60 Degrees but seemingly the CPU will suddenly ramp up to over 70 - 80 and then even over 100 Degrees with literally nothing happening other and a bit of light browsing. Top shows firefox using maybe 15% CPU at that time

I've tried different Governors, Conservative, OnDemand and the default schedutil none of which seem to curtail the spikes, top doesn't really show anything crazy going on, load average is 0.58, 0.68, 0.61, yet even just typing this i can see the Tctl spiking upto 85 from 58, in seconds.

I tried nbfc but this seems to cause more noise in that the fan is constantly stopping then ramping right up as opposed to without nbfc where the fan is always on. Without nbfc the temps are maybe a few degrees lower but the spikes are still there.

Any suggestions as to how i can tame this thing?

Originally posted by TheBR View Post
    i had the same thing on Mint before i shifted over to Kunbutu to try a different distro.
    Don't forget that mint and *buntu are extremely similar, and depending on the specific release, Mint is virtually identical to Ubuntu 22.04 in terms of kernels and drivers.

Windows will run better on the HP as its ACPI and other components are designed specifically for use on Windows. CPU governors may not be what is the issue.

What specific model number?
    Which Kubuntu release?
    Is your BIOS up to date?
    Just to be sure, are the temps the same querying lm-sensors itself, or via Plasma's System Monitor or other tools or widgets?
    Are you using the proprietary Nvidia drivers?
    On Windows, does it use the iGPU most of the time? The 2060 could be adding as lot of heat to the system if run 100% of the time.
    These laptop models seem to have a somewhat general reputation for running hot on some devices to begin with.

With more hardware info, it may help to find if there is a boot parameter or something to tweak for HP's hardware. Or something with a newer kernel by default than what Ubuntu 24.04 provides currently.

Comment

Hi Claydoh,
      Thanks for coming back to me, its an HP OMEN 15-en0000 running Kunbutu 24.04 updated to :

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
      Qt Version: 5.15.13
      Kernel Version: 6.8.0-36-generic (64-bit)
      Graphics Platform: X11
      Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
      Memory: 15.0 GiB of RAM
      Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
      Manufacturer: HP
      Product Name: OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx​

​My BIOS is, now, fully updated (it wasn't but i just updated with the same issue). Weirdly, it may even be running a tad hotter as its sitting around 70 as i type this.

The sensors command tells me the following, which does tie in with psensors, system monitor does not show me the CPU Temperature, only usage -
      k10temp-pci-00c3
      Adapter: PCI adapter
      Tctl: +71.2°C

nvidia-smi tells me the following:
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Wed Jun 26 14:16:26 2024        [/COLOR]
      +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
      | NVIDIA-SMI 555.52.04              Driver Version: 555.52.04      CUDA Version: 12.5     |
      |-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
      | GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id          Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
      | Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |           Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
      |                                         |                        |               MIG M. |
      |=========================================+========================+======================|
      |   0  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060        Off |   00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
      | N/A   54C    P0             50W /   80W |     133MiB /   6144MiB |     42%      Default |
      |                                         |                        |                  N/A |
      +-----------------------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
      | Processes:                                                                              |
      |  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                              GPU Memory |
      |        ID   ID                                                               Usage      |
      |=========================================================================================|
      |    0   N/A  N/A      1544      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                            131MiB |
      +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+[/FONT]

​

So, I use a dual / triple monitor setup depending on how you look at it, 2 external monitors and the laptop screen. I'm not 100% on this but i believe this partly uses the GPU for one of the monitors - not completely sure of that though, would you know how i could check or even force usage of the GPU here?

Honestly, if the BIOS would allow me to undervolt this thing i'd call it a day but the options in the BIOS are zero in relation to any kind of tweaking beyond minor things like boot order.

Comment

Actually folks, forget about it - i just went back to Windows to check Temps there (dual boot) - and im seeing similar spiking temperatures - i haven't really noticed it as the fans dont kick in like they do on Mint/Kunbutu.

I do use a utility called Universal x86 Tuning for AMD on Windows any maybe thats the magic keeping the fans quiet on Windows.

Sorry about this.

Comment

Working...
        X