Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do I prevent the state of meta key lock (locking lockout) from function+f2 press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I prevent the state of meta key lock (locking lockout) from function+f2 press?

every once and I while I'll accidentally push "function+f2" and get the computer in some state where the meta (super) key stops working completely. I expect this is intentional because on this laptop that f2 key has a little "lock" icon, so in some way this is "locking" out the meta key.

I want to disable this. I have no use case ever where I want the meta key to stop working, and now dozens of times I get into this state and never want to be here.

I'm running kde and plasma, on ubuntu 22.04 on a (almost new) stock kubuntu Ir14

I cannot find this in the shortcuts in kde, so I expect it's deeper somewhere in the system, bios or hardware? not sure.

how do I stop this function? I want function+f2 to do nothing.

Thank you!

jmdugan

Welcome.

Did you have a look if you can configure this in your computer's UEFI?
    I know of several different laptop models where one can do it this way.

Please always provide as much information as you can (hardware like make and model or specs, laptop or desktop, software, your set-up,…, etc.) - this will increase the chance that someone else actually can help you.

I understand you have installed KDE Plasma on top of Ubuntu (GNOME), so I am out of here regarding a software solution, sorry…
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04

sw
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
      Qt Version: 5.15.3
      Kernel Version: 6.5.0-25-generic (64-bit)
      Graphics Platform: X11

hw
      Processors: 12 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5
      Memory: 62.5 GiB of RAM
      Manufacturer: Carbon Systems
      Product Name: Iridium 14​

Comment

I had a work Lenovo that did something like this. The "lock" was something like a shift or caps lock. It meant the blue (IIRC) functions on the top (IIRC) row worked without having to press the function key, like brightness up or down. A hardware or even just keyboard thing, nothing to do with KDE.

Presumably you tried pressing it again. Perhaps without the "Fn" key? Or some key chord, like shift?
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          I had a work Lenovo that did something like this. The "lock" was something like a shift or caps lock. It meant the blue (IIRC) functions on the top (IIRC) row worked without having to press the function key, like brightness up or down. A hardware or even just keyboard thing, nothing to do with KDE.

Presumably you tried pressing it again. Perhaps without the "Fn" key? Or some key chord, like shift?
          Yes, pressing Fn+F2 has a toggle effect on the lock state. Locked=Meta key is disabled, and Unlocked=Meta key works. repeated presses of Fn+F2 goes from lock to unlocked, reliably. but, also without any feedback on state change or the current state of lock-ed-ness. silently accidentally and pretty often I keep going back into the "lock" state unwanted. So in a way I can see what it's doing, I just don't want the laptop to work that way. In digging a bit deeper, almost all of the Fn+F-key functions have keystates availabel for shortcuts in the OS, this one does not, so I expect it's happening at some deeper layer, hardware or bios, something something, unsure. agreeing this may not be a KDE thing. :/

Comment

Working...
          X