Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing nvidia 304 drivers - how????????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing nvidia 304 drivers - how????????

Hello, I have a fresh install of Kubuntu 18.04 KDE 32 bit on an older HP DV9700. I would like to install the correct nvidia drivers and stop using the Nvidia Nouveau driver. How do I do this? I have been looking for solid information on this but have not really come up with anything solid. I tried the "driver" tool and it reported that there was no need for a proprietary driver. So, that tool failed miserably. can anyone point me in the correct direction? Do I need to add addition sources for my repos?

Please note - I do know that I need the Nvidia 304 and can dowload it from the nvidia site if needed.

A bit of a back story, for the last week, I cannot count the number if distros that I have tried, and all have failed to be able to install the 304 drivers. My normal distro is PCLinuxOS (that has the native drivers as part of the install) but they no longer support 32bit, so I am trying to find 1 KDE distro but, having the ability to install the 304 drivers is a must. I am getting tired of seeing rendering issues, but I am getting pretty good of installing from live usb!!!!!!.

So seriously, I am at my whits end. There must be a current well documented method to install the drivers, build the correct kernel headers and blacklist that silly Nouveau driver.

Any info would be welcomed.

Steve

The 304 Nvidia driver is obsolete and not supported now, so it was removed from Ubuntu for 18.04.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...4/+bug/1748000
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Ok. Well that explains a lot. is there any nvidia driver set that will handle a GO7600 card this is currently available?

Comment

Am I correct is assuming that trying to install the drivers that I can download from Nvidia would result in a failure? Just trying to find a few options otherwise I just keep looking for another distro if I have to

Comment

Originally posted by steveblezy View Post
          Am I correct is assuming that trying to install the drivers that I can download from Nvidia would result in a failure? Just trying to find a few options otherwise I just keep looking for another distro if I have to
          As far as I am aware, the 304 driver would fail to build it's kernel module or work with the 4.15 kernel in 18.04.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Well, thanks for the information. this does answer a lot of questions.

Comment

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...c-beaver-linux
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Bookmarked for future reference.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                X