X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.04 with Plasma 5.08 drops to Terminal mode

Hi,
    as a newbie, I just follow what I see others do, and a month ago I upgraded Plasma to the latest version compatible with Kubuntu 16.04. I think it was Plasma 5.08 (but don't hold me to it).
    It seemed to be working fine the first few times I booted into it, but last week it booted into CLI (full-screen TTY) mode.
    Anyone care to give me a clue how to get my graphical desktop mode back?
    Any help greatly appreciated

PS I have an AMD graphics card - seems to work fine in Ubuntu 18.04, Windows and Debian 9...

One culprit for this is that the ~/.Xauthority file in your home account gets owned by root (root:root). IF that is the case you can use chown to reverse it:
    sudo chown yourname:yourname ~./Xauthority

If that's not the case then try
    startkde
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.
      Unfortunately that did not seem to help in this case

Comment

What did you add to your system, or change in your system, before it booted into the CLI?
        What ever you did disabled the xserver.
        Post the output of lsmod and let's see what drivers are installed, if any.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Which command line?

The are several fallback command lines, either grub, systemd or failure of the x server.

What does it say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X