Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I trasnfer archives from Kubunto to external HD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I trasnfer archives from Kubunto to external HD?

I'm humbly trying to transfer my personal archives from Kubunto to an external HD, but Dolphin says "they're archives and they're supposed to be files" and does nothing.

I'm stuck. Help.

Please ask this question in a way that helps us help you.
    What Version of Kubuntu>?
    How are you connecting the drive?
    What format is the drive (if you know) ?
    When you plug in the drive does the removable device notifier show you its connected?
    What is the exact wording of the error you see?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Notice what sithlord48 posted.

How to do it depends on how you formated your external drives and who is the owner:group, you or root?
      I formatted my external drives as owned by me:me. When I plug them in they appear in the Places panel on Dolphin. I right mouse on them and select "Mount". The file structure appears in the right panel. I click on the split button and put my Internal /home/jerry directory as the head of the left side of the display panel. I navigate the right side to the external drive I just mounted. Now, it is a simple matter of dragging what I what to archive from the left panel into the right panel. When the progress dialog (in the system tray and the lower right panel of Dolphin) says the task is done I right click on the external HD in the places panel and chose "Unmount". Then I close the split panel and close Dolphin, if I am done.

Or, you could install "Midnight Commander" (You can install it from a Konsole by issuing "sudo apt install mc). Open a Konsole and issue "sudo -i". In that root console mount the external drive:
      mount /dev/sdXn /mnt
      where X is the letter of the drive and n is the partition number you want to mount, usually 1.
      Then issue \
      mc
      When it starts up it has two panels. In the left panel navigate to your home account. Use the Tab key to switch back and forth between the panels. In the right panel navigate to /mnt
      In the left panel right click on the directories and files you want to store on the left panel. They will remain highlighted in yellow.
      When you have highlighted all the directories and files you want to archive hit the F5 button. Make sure the "preserve attributes" is checked so that owners and rights are preserved. Then click the OK button. MC is VERY fast. When it is done, hit F10 to close mc and return to the Konsole. Then umount the drive:
      umount /mnt
      Then enter
      exit
      to leave the root console and enter
      exit
      again to close Konsole.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X