This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Zoom not working

I can't get desktop zoom working Kubuntu 17.10 live DVD that I recently ordered from a local supplier. This may well be because I haven't used Linux on the desktop for several years and don't know what I'm doing. I have an HP 260 G4 laptop with 4gb ram and am trying to dump windows 10 because the latest stream of compulsory windows updates (some which take 3 hours to install against a blue screen) are making it unusable.

I tried using desktop zoom hot keys as Meta+= and Metal+ but nothing happened when I pressed these keys. (I am presuming the meta key is the Alt key on my keyboard). I couldn't find any Google help that wasn't 5 years out of date. Itried doing this thru Kubuntu Desktop Effects but also no luck. My graphics controller is an Intel HD graphics controller with no model number.

My google searches so far indicate that I may have to logout and back in again after enabling desktop zoom through enabling desktop effects on Kubunt. Most google searching thus far seem to indicate I'm the only person in the world with this problem. Is it an issue with running from a live DVD rather than installing it to the hard drive?

Has anyone had any experience with this and of those who have can you tell me if you did any of the following to succeed.

kernel upgrade
    distro upgrade
    editing xwin config files
    Changing display settings from OpenGL to XRender or vice versa

I am really out of ideas here and so appreciate any help on how to troubleshoot this.

Originally posted by kiwiheretic View Post
    I tried using desktop zoom hot keys as Meta+= and Metal+ but nothing happened when I pressed these keys. (I am presuming the meta key is the Alt key...
    I often use the desktop zoom on my desktop, and the windows keys are Meta for me, not alt. They work as a modifier like Shift or Control, f.ex. , press and hold while pressing = to zoom in. On cramped laptop keyboards there might only be one, or be somewhere else.

X calls them "Super_L" and "Super_R", keycodes 133 and 134. Super_L is between the left Ctrl and Alt, and Super_R is betwwen the right Alt and the menu key (X calls it "Menu", keycode 135). In KDE system settings, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab, KDE seems to call them "Win".

Now, system settings has several different places relevant to these. In a quick look I could find Input Devices/Keyboard/Advanced tab, Shortcuts, and Desktop Effects. Also, desktop effects can be toggled off and on globally with Shift-Ctrl-F12. I'd establish whether you're getting any desktop effects at all, maybe turn on something not involving keys, like "Fall Apart".

...my graphics controller is an Intel HD graphics controller with no model number.
    lspci in a konsole would tell you, FWIW.

My google searches so far indicate that I may have to logout and back in again after enabling desktop zoom through enabling desktop effects on Kubuntu.
    Well, I don't have to. If you're changing the rendering backend or turning the compositor on and off, maybe.

I suggest that rather trying to track down where Meta is on your keyboard, you go into desktop effects, and on the zoom line click the spanner (the Americans would call it a wrench, but they're unlikely to be called "kiwiheretic"), scroll down to the zoom actions, click on the spanner button then press the keys you want to use. You'll be warned if there's a conflict with some other function. You'll also see what KDE calls the keys you've pressed.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Have you tried CTL + ?
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

A LOT of stuff that used to work in compiz is not working in KDE(whatever) unless you go to the desktop settings and specifically ASSIGN the keystrokes to it.
        woodlikedtheRELATIVEsimplicityoftheoldcompizfusion smoke

Comment

OK I made some progress. Turns out that meta is not alt after all. After creating a custom alt key sequence it works. This problem was compounded because I was using a wireless Rii keyboard with no windows keys. I had spent several days on this. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Hey the woodsmoker loves Kiwis!!

Gla you got it fixed!

Don'rt be a stranger!

woodlikeskiwissmokw

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiheretic View Post
              OK I made some progress. Turns out that meta is not alt after all. After creating a custom alt key sequence it works. This problem was compounded because I was using a wireless Rii keyboard with no windows keys. I had spent several days on this. Thanks for the help.
              What key combination did you choose that wouldn’t be co-opted by the one or more applications you may have running?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X