Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Printer Brother DCP-J562DW impossible to install in Kubuntu????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Brother DCP-J562DW impossible to install in Kubuntu????

Hello friends.

A few days ago I installed Kubuntu, which I think is a great system, but I have a problem with the Brother DCP-J562DW printer, I am not able to make it work.

I have followed several tutorials and read many forums and I do not give with the solution. The printer has Linux drivers, these here:
    http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...cpj562dw_eu_as

I follow all the steps indicated and the printer appears installed, but do not print anything at all.

Step1. Download the tool. (Linux-brprinter-installer - *. *. * - *. Gz)
    The tool will be downloaded into the default "Download" directory.
    (The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)
    e.g. / home / (LoginName) / Download
    Step2. Open a terminal window.
    Step3. Go to the directory you downloaded the file to the last step. By using the cd command.
    e.g.

cd Downloads
    Step4 Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:
    Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer - *. *. * - *. Gz
    e.g. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
    Step5 Get superuser authorization with the "your" command or "sudo your" command.
    Step6. Run the tool:
    Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer - *. *. * - * Brother machine name
    e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-J880DW
    Step7. The driver installation will start.

Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI?",
    For USB Users: Choose N (No)
    For Network Users: Choose Y (Yes) and DeviceURI number.
    The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

The printer is installed by USB and in ubuntu it worked perfectly, but in Kubuntu I am not capable, I would appreciate any help or advice.

Greetings and thank you.

I have read that you need ia32libs dependencies, but I am not able to install them in any way, it gives a repository error.

I wonder why you're using a USB connection; a network connection would be more flexible. I found a review of your printer that said it supports wireless.

I say this because I went through a similar process as yours to install my Brother printer, an MFCJ5330DW, on 17.04. I found it difficult to find the right download, but got there. My Kubuntu 17.10 install borked itself somehow last week, so I was forced to do a new install. I opted for a pre-release 18.04. I'm still setting up stuff and hadn't got around to the printer, but yesterday I wanted to print and found that Kubuntu had seen it on the LAN and installed it automatically! Zero input from me. Worked first time. YMMV, of course, and it can be tricky to get a printer connected at first.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Ok
      I have had two Brother printers...'back in the day"...
      MARVELOUS...output...just KILLER great output...

but they had a "two part" driver ...do NOT ask me to explain this...

but one "part" and they had to be downloaded SEPERATELY, had to be in stalled one after the other and the first had to "hand shake" with the second and then you had a functional driver...

it is all about "keep the money HERE"...

but...Just like Microsith is built on DOS and will ALWAYS have it's roots there...

this driver is probably a 'wrapper" around those to pices of a driver...

And...it was...parallel... ok I have an ANCIENT HP 6P that is just a WORKhorse...and it has a driver that was DESIGNED to be parallel... but now has a "wrapper" so that I could if I want, do usb...but i

STOOPID me...take the old CUPS driver and it works just fine...

MORAL TO THE STORY...

a) clear out the drivers...
      b) restart
      c) look for drivers in...what...usr / share..
      d) restart...
      e) and try to install the driver again only...

search through the drivers for ...as jlittle said...

for a driver taht is compatible with a network connexion and also fiddle to get a network connexion...

I my HONEST opinion...the usb driver is really a two part parallel driver in wolfs or sheeps clothing...

just a thought...but a BEAUTIFUL DEVICE...images to DIE for!!

woodjustathoughtoflittle worthsmoke

Comment

Thx

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I wonder why you're using a USB connection; a network connection would be more flexible. I found a review of your printer that said it supports wireless.

I say this because I went through a similar process as yours to install my Brother printer, an MFCJ5330DW, on 17.04. I found it difficult to find the right download, but got there. My Kubuntu 17.10 install borked itself somehow last week, so I was forced to do a new install. I opted for a pre-release 18.04. I'm still setting up stuff and hadn't got around to the printer, but yesterday I wanted to print and found that Kubuntu had seen it on the LAN and installed it automatically! Zero input from me. Worked first time. YMMV, of course, and it can be tricky to get a printer connected at first.

Regards, John Little
        Im just another Newbie in Kubuntu land and wanted to say thanks for your statement here. It saved me a lot of headache installing my Epson Workforce wireless printer. Had I not read your comment, i would have been lost trying to find the right driver

Ken <- Newbie

Comment

TUP
          woodTUPsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X