Screen turns black if I unplugged the charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen turns black if I unplugged the charger

I'm running Kubuntu 23.10 on a 2012 Macbook Pro. When it is plugged in and charging and I disconnect the charger the screen turns black and I'm unable to do anything. If I plug the charger back in the screen comes on again. If I start the computer without the charger plugged in it will also work fine, if I plugged the charger in again it still runs fine until I disconnect the charger again the screen will turn black.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

I have installed Linux Mint on an identical 2012 Macbook Pro and I found the culprit. It has to do with installing pommed that controls the backlit for the Macbook keyboard. As soon as I installed that and unplugged the macbook the screen went black. I just uninstalled and unplugged the macbook and it is now working no black screen and the backlit is still working.

Comment

Welcome and it is good that you found the responsible package!

The only things I would recommend to additionally install for an older Apple MacBook Pro in any Linux distribution are
      • mbpfan (to provide a better fan/heat contol - and configure it, of course)
        and
      • powertop (to help disabling the auto-sleep of some components like possibly e.g. the trackpad's or Bluetooth's that might disturb your work - and configure your system with the help of it accordingly, of course)
      PS: It would also help if you put "MacBook" or something like it in the title so others can find your solution - and mark it as "Solved".
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 01, 2023, 12:22 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
      X