New to Kubuntu ...linux for that matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu ...linux for that matter

Hi there very excited to be here on kubuntu though a major learning curve My problem right now is getting onto internet using the AC600 Alfa usb the seral number is AWUS036SCS and came with both windows and mac drivers but no lenux drivers. My internet network options does not show when plugging in the usb port My hope was someone here might have had same problem and can offer me direction

USB WiFi dongles can be problematic on Linux, and might require some manual work to get running. Which of course can be difficult or awkward when you don't have any other way to connect to the internet.

But we will need to so a little bit of information about the Alfa device, which will involve opening a terminal (Konsole) and entering this command with the dongle plugged in.

Code:
    lsusb
    This will list all the USB devices present, and some hardware IDs as well, which will point in the direction we'll need to go next.

Originally posted by Micbery View Post
    AWUS036SCS
    Is this the correct model? IU can't find reference to it, though there is one that is AWUS036ACS.

In any case, the lsusb command will lead us to the correct chip information (brands can sometimes switch to different chips, or variants)

You probably will need to investigate connecting with an Ethernet cable or tethering to a mobile device, as it could be necessary (or simply a lot easier) to get online to get the things needed to get this working.

Comment

If as claydoh said it a AWUS036ACS it has a Realtek RTL8811AU chipset which means you will need to download some firmware to get it recognized and working. Alpha's web site has the instructions for installing it on Ubuntu 22.04 which would be the same for Kubuntu. It's found here. scroll down the page to Ubuntu install.

https://docs.alfa.com.tw/Support/Linux/RTL8811AU/
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
        Alpha's web site has the instructions for installing it on Ubuntu 22.04 which would be the same for Kubuntu.
        Which, as I mentioned, will require connecting to the internet via alternative means....

Comment

… and if you consider buying a new USB-Wifi adapter - here is a site which lists the most common ones that don't need an additional driver for Linux at all:
          https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
          X